Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default which is best newspaper

Hi
    I would be grateful for some advice as to which newspaper is likely to have reported the arrest for bigamy in mid 1917 the trial took place at Derby assizes in November 1917 where he was sentenced to 4 months in prison and sent to Birmingham goal. He returned to his army unit in February 1918.
    I will need to pay someone to look for an article so want to sure as to which newspaper to look at.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jane,
    The news might have made it into The Times, though as it was wartime, possibly not. But if you want to post a name, those of us with access to the Times Digital Archive will have a look for you. (Alternatively, PM me with the name.)
    What is probably the most important questions are - where was the 'culprit' apprehended, and did he marry someone who lived in, say, Chesterfield (i.e. nor Derby)? If the marriage was to someone who lived outside of Derby then the news might more likely be reported in the local paper for that town. On the other hand, the news could have been reported in a Derby paper because that was where the court was.
    If it was reported in a Derby newspaper then it would probably have been in the Derby Mercury. This gives a bit of information about the newpapers held at the Local Studies library.
    Pam

Jack Richards

Hi Jane

May I suggest the DERBYSHIRE Times, a weekly newspaper with editions at Derby and Chesterfield.

I think that Chesterfield Local Studies may have indexed the said newspaper, but you will have to confirm this fact.

Regards

Hi and thank you for the replies the information I have is that George Henry Eastgate his age in 1917 is listed as 43 years, joined the army in 1915, was taken into custody and tried at Derby assizes in 1917 however his son was born in Bingham Nottingham and Georges address was School Hill Bingham Notts.
    I did try the Times on line via the local library web but couldnt find anything.
    The records for Winson Green Prison are subject to the 100 year rule and as I am not direct next of kin am unsure if I will get permission to look at them at Birmingham record Office. I am going to ring the prison on Friday as this is my day off.
    Chesterfield comes in because I am sure thats where we visited "Grandad and Grandma " Eastgate in the late 1950s. I havent a clue when Georges marriages took place only that on his army record there is a marriage for 1910 no wifes name but his sons name and date of birth is recorded as 1913 this is my uncles date of birth.
    Incidently I cant find a birth for George or find him in the census, however there is an entry in the 1911 census for George Estate at Bingham so will get this in a week when I go to the National Archives.
    I have had an email back from Derby library who have listed about 6 newspapers they have said even the upper class newspapers would have probably reported this so may look at paying someone to look at the info.
    My cousin who is in poor health, I dont think knew about his grandfather as I did ask him a couple of years ago but he didnt seem to know anything. He would be the type not to have been bothered about this thing but his mum would most certainly taken a dim view (being rather old fashioned) and I dont really want to ring him. However how my late mum knew I am unsure. Its all very intriging and I really would like to get to the bottom of this
    Jane

Hi Jane,
    Like you I couldn't find anything in the Times Digital Archive.
    However, if your George is the one who was in the Labour Corps and had the regimental number 431452, have a careful look at the second page of his service records. Bottom left hand corner. Married 12.12.10. And presumably his son's name and birth date.
    FreeBMD has a George H Eastgate marrying Bingham registration district December quarter 1910, but he's on his own because the page number is incomplete. However it should be 991, which also has on the same page
    Jane Chambers, Mary M. Johnson, and Frederick C. Burrows.
    From a quick survey of the 1911 census it would seem that George married Jane Chambers, as there's a George Henry Eastgate, aged 33 living in Bingham in a household where there is also a Jane aged 28.
    Pam

Sorry Jane - I've just re-read your post which says you'd found the date of George's 1910 marriage and his son's birth date. I really must learn to read everything carefully before I reply.
    However, am I able to redeem myself by saying that FreeBMD has a marriage of a George H Eastgate recorded in Derby district June quarter 1917? Wife is Edith J Brown. Her name has been transcribed but doesn't have the same page number as George. Hers says 1048, George's says 1069. The entries on the 'linked' pages to the GRO Index are smudged, but the ones on FMP are very clear and the page number for both is 1068. I'll advise FreeBMD of the correct number.
    Pam

FreeBMD are certainly on the ball.
    I've already received confirmation that the amendments to the numbers have been accepted so it shouldn't be too long before the correct details are showing.
    Pam

Hi
    Just to let everyone know that I have spoken to Winson Green prison they said after 25 years all prison records are destroyed there will be no photos etc. this is done to protect relatives/children. Perhaps its better to think of Grandad as I have him in a photo than look at a photo of him as prisoner
    However Birmingham Archives have a calender of prison which is subject to a 100 year rule but the only information this contains is the name age type of offence and prison term. As I know this already I wont need to pursue this further. The prison further said that they would not be the ones to give permission if someone still wanted to pursue this I think it is probably going to be the Home Office London.
    This ties up with a name I am interested in for a murder trial in 1942 which would require permission, however I do know of a murder trial that took place after this but the files were open for anyone to view at the National Archives.
    So am unsure of what criteria files are released under for very serious crimes.
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards View Post
    Hi Jane

May I suggest the DERBYSHIRE Times, a weekly newspaper with editions at Derby and Chesterfield.

I think that Chesterfield Local Studies may have indexed the said newspaper, but you will have to confirm this fact.

Regards
    Hallo Jack
    Just to say I have emailed Chesterfield LSL and they have said because I can give them exact dates they will do a look up and send me copies all for a reasonable cost.
    So thank you for the advice will post a note when and if I get a newspaper article.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Jack Richards

Hi Jane

It just goes to show "it pays to advertise on these forums" (vbg).

A point worth remembering is that you should get a good "write up" of the trial in the Derbyshire Times, but also it is most likely, there will be an article(s) in this newspaper reporting his arrest and remand dates etc.

I've looked through this thread and I've noticed that none of us has suggested the National Archives at Kew. Fingers crossed I have not missed it. I am reasonably certain that there will be details of his trial, conviction etc.

Although I have visited TNA on several occasions and have researched ancestors (my wifes!!) criminal records etc., I have never done research for same in Derbyshire. Suggest you look at the catalogue for Derbyshire Assizes for references.

Having mentioned TNA and this last sentence, I'm sure you are going to get a reply from friends on this forum, who are knowledgeable on the catalogues. Of course there is the 100 year snag!

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 05-09-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: missing text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast