Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Jack
    You are right about the hundred year rule will take a letter to the Home office have checked this out with Winson Green prison.
    I go to the National Archives quite a bit for Royal Navy (georgian research for fhs)
    However the bad news is there was no article relating to George in the Derby Times but the lady at Chesterfield emailed me back to say she had checked the Derby Mercury and there is a detailed article in there.
    I have therefore now a cheque in the post and am waiting with baited breath.
    Thank you so much for all your advice.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Jack Richards

Hi Jane

Reference there being no mention in the Derbyshire Times of this court appearance / trial, I have to say, I'm "gobsmacked". Having said that the staff in the Local Studies at Chesterfield in the days of my research were always excellent both to me and others with whom they dealt, whilst I was around.

My research is over the last 27+ years and part of that research is concerened with a small village in north east Derbyshire (see my web site).

During this time, I have spent many days trawling the Derbyshire Times newspaper for snippets of information, so I know the newspaper and it's format. Also, I am aware there was / is the Chesterfield edition and the Derby edition or at least that is how I recall it. As a youngster growing up in the aforementioned village and since, I read it weekly for many years.

Most certainly, I trawled the Derbyshire Times 1917 in my research, but of course was not looking for your case (from around the late 1890s to the mid 1900s).

I know the Local Studies at Matlock - based in the old Smedley Hydro building also have copies of the Derbyshire Times on film and the staff there are also excellent, nothing is too mush trouble for them.

I know you will get a copy from the Derby Mercury and I suspect it will be well reported, but I still wonder if there may have been a report in the Derby edition of the D.T. - having said that, it was war time, maybe there was just the one edition.

To summarise, as i said earlier, "I'm gobsmacked"!

Regards

Hi Jack
    I have been to Smedley Hydro a few times (that hill is steep!) and wonder if the Derbyshire Times edition was Chesterfield. However Derby Local Studies didnt list that they had an edition of Derbyshire Times so assume the copy was the Chesterfield edition.
    Best Wishes
    Jane
    ps like to Website very impressive.

Hi All
    Especially Pam and Jack I now have the article from the Derby Mercury and it was indeed Miss Brown that George married bigamously.
    I have Georges marriage certificate to his first and legal wife and this is the one he stayed with.
    However do you think I can find him in the 1881,1891,1901 census!
    Another brickwall to knock down.
    Thank you all for the help it is very much appreciated.
    Jane

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jane,
    Do we presume that you've got George in 1911? If so, what age does he give, and where does he say he was born? And does his age then tie in with his age at death?
    Pam

Hi Pam
    Sorry I havent been in touch before, George died in 1964 age 85
    in 1911 living Thoroton Nottingham he was 33 born in Stragglethorpe Lincs (very small country place googled on multi maps) and in the newspaper article he is quoted as being 42 in 1917.
    I have his marriage certificate for 1910 where he is 32 his occupation is ag lab. father George Henry Eastgate deceased no occupation.

Best Wishes
    Jane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12