Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    southistle

I can confirm from the Northamptonshire marriage index that
    William THORNTON of Wormleighton, Warwickshire
    married
    Rebecca BIRD of this parish
    at Everdon, 13th Oct 1828

and from the 1751-1812 Baptism index that Rebecca BIRD was baptised at Everdon 13th April 1806, parents Richard and Mary.

cgthornton1

Default Let the work begin!

So, for what ever this might be worth, I have two theories as to how my contemporary ancestor came out of England, while at the same time being genetically related to the Virginia colonists.

The simple one: The easy solution is that my connection with the Virginia colonists stems from a common ancestor back in England prior to 1650…in this scenario all my research will be in England; while I might have to wait a few years for y’all to get it digitized so I can access it, I have time! But yes, I figure that it’ll be at the very least 6 more generations, but possibly 8-9 generations…but what the heck, I’m starting to talk with a British accent already!!!

The more complicated version goes something like this: My common ancestor with the Virginia colonists was a loyalist during the American Revolution. In 1783 there were some 20,000 to 30,000 such loyalists “repatriated” to English Canada, and some 7,000 such loyalists were repatriated back to England. Ontario and Nova Scotia were favorite spots for relocating said loyalists! In Version A of this scenario my ancestor was repatriated directly back to England in 1783 (still looking for info on petitions in this regard…I’ve found a “John THORNTON” that was a loyalist, but the trail goes cold). In Version B (the nightmare scenario) my ancestor initially gets bumped to Canada. The land they were given was less than ideal in these situations (and Canada gets REALLY cold…I mean REALLY cold…and these guys were from Virginia and the Carolinas which is tropical by Canadian standards), so my boy get all uppity and makes a B-line back to England…where “my George’s” father is born…who the begets said George…whose son Timothy decides to head back to Canada?!?! And all the passenger lists before 1868 are lost!!! …my boy got married in Newfoundland in 1865!

I’m hoping for the first scenario…after all I have “Ms” Wirral on my side…seriously, no insult intended…I was really psyched! When I went on the LDS-FHL website, and after I searched for the Buckinghamshire records I ran a search for THORNTON…there were 280 records…the majority are associated with the Virginia colonists with whom I have a genetic relationship! Apparently, the THORNTON plantation back in Virginia was next to the family who would produce the first President of the newly formed United States of America (i.e., George Washington) …some intermarrying went on between the families ...and there are many others that every American kid has heard of! Anyway, the Y-chromosome project is at a place where we are trying to find the connection into England. One researcher (Bob Thornton) has a very nice work describing why he thinks the original line of THORNTONS comes out of Rivington in Lancashire (would that be Lancs in your parlance?); this is mostly circumstantial, but it is a very convincing argument…so we are trying to find an English born THORNTON with a Y-chromosome signature similar to ours. So the really cool part of this discussion is that in the first scenario above my ancestors might actually be the connection of THORNTONS out of England in this project…I just have 6-9 generations to go!!!

Seriously, y’all have been unbelievable…I really want to thank you for your time and I will certainly let you know what I find out!
    Best,
    Chuck

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by cgthornton1 View Post
    …in this scenario all my research will be in England; while I might have to wait a few years for y’all to get it digitized so I can access it, I have time! But yes, I figure that it’ll be at the very least 6 more generations, but possibly 8-9 generations…but what the heck, I’m starting to talk with a British accent already!!!
    Is that 8-9 generations to make the connection or to get it all digitized?
    The more complicated version goes something like this: My common ancestor with the Virginia colonists was a loyalist during the American Revolution. In 1783 there were some 20,000 to 30,000 such loyalists “repatriated” to English Canada, and some 7,000 such loyalists were repatriated back to England. Ontario and Nova Scotia were favorite spots for relocating said loyalists!
    Probably just a coincidence, but one of the owners of the Manor of Wolverton was Sir Edward LONGUEVILLE. He was created a baronet of Nova Scotia in 1638. This is from www.genuki.org.uk , one of the most useful sites for anyone researching in the UK.
    after all I have “Ms” Wirral on my side…seriously, no insult intended…I was really psyched!
    Absolutely none taken by Mrs Wirral!

Wirral

I've found a couple of other people researching your Timothy THORNTON on one of the Ancestry noticeboards. Have you already been in contact with them?

cgthornton1

If you are referring to Andrea (gencraze) I've tried desperately to get in touch with her, but to no avail!

Wirral

I'll send you a PM as it concerns living people.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234