Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cgthornton1

Default Stupid Question of the Day!

Okay, I followed your directions and found everything you saw…I have the film numbers for Holy Trinity & the Wolverton census records. As I’ve never ordered anything from FHL, I have a few stupid questions:

(1) In a previous post you describe other Thorntons in Wormleighton, Warwickshire that claim their origin as Wolverton, Buckinghamshire…do you currently have access to this record, because I couldn’t locate an accessible data file? Do you have access to other Census records (e.g., 1841, 1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891)…were these the only two that looked like they might fit the bill of surname & place of birth?

(2) If I order the films of the baptisms, what are the chances that “my George” will be in there? Kind of a stupid question I know, but I have no experience here…
    Thanks!

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by cgthornton1 View Post
    Okay, I followed your directions and found everything you saw…I have the film numbers for Holy Trinity & the Wolverton census records. As I’ve never ordered anything from FHL, I have a few stupid questions:
    I've never ordered anything either.
    (1) In a previous post you describe other Thorntons in Wormleighton, Warwickshire that claim their origin as Wolverton, Buckinghamshire…do you currently have access to this record, because I couldn’t locate an accessible data file? Do you have access to other Census records (e.g., 1841, 1861, 1871, 1881, and 1891)…were these the only two that looked like they might fit the bill of surname & place of birth?
    Yes, I do have access & these were the only 2 males or unmarried females who gave Wolverton as their place of birth & were born about that time.
    (2) If I order the films of the baptisms, what are the chances that “my George” will be in there? Kind of a stupid question I know, but I have no experience here…
    Thanks!
    My guess is pretty good. Timothy describes himself as Church of England in later censuses, while his wife is RC. How easy is it for you to get to a Family Search Centre?

cgthornton1

I looked it up and there is a FHL 10 min from my work...I have everything I need...U R DA MAN! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

sueannbowen

In this case Chuck - she am de woman.

sueannbowen

the only Timothy Thornton RCs I can see in the non-conformist registers around 1838 ish are in Yorkshire.
    S

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by sueannbowen View Post
    In this case Chuck - she am de woman.

Definitely, when I last looked!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgthornton1 View Post
    (7) And finally something I can comment on…I took the Y-chromosome test to see if it could give us any hints regarding our THORNTON ancestry. I match at 65/67 markers with a group of THORNTONS that trace their heritage back to a small band of THORNTONS that colonized Virginia c1650 (we now have 29 participants in our project). The statistics suggest that there is a probability of 99% that I have a common ancestor with this group within the last 14 generations! I simply have NO idea how I am connected to these people...more on that later!
    George b.1807 would be 6 generations back, including yourself, so that means another possible 8 further generations to find a match. Guesstimating an average of 3 generations a century, that could take you back to the middle of the 16th century. Which could fit with a common ancestor of people going to Virginia c.1650. This is probably pretty bad science, but what the heck!

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Definitely, when I last looked!

!
    Bless him! He is excited so we'll let him off!!

Sx

cgthornton1

Red face

ooops!

cgthornton1

What does "RCs" stand for, and what are the "non-conformist registers" and what's up with Timothy in Yorkshire?!?! I know "Yorks" (see, I'm learning!) is another county, but isn't it some distance from Warks?

sueannbowen

Sorry Chuck - what I meant was I had looked at the non-conformist (not church of England) registers (such as they are) on The Genealogist subscription website and the only Roman Catholic (RC) Baptisms for a Timothy Thornton were from Yorkshire. So there were not any for the place you are interested in or for the time. I was following up on one of Wirral or Geoffers earlier posts on Roman Catholics. This whole thing is as much about ruling things out as in!

Good luck with this.

Sue

Good man - Yorks(hire) is a long way away!
    Last edited by sueannbowen; 25-10-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: a bit more info. and not dire spelling which is good!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast