Thread: London school

SLFoster

Post London school

In approximately 1920 my father and one of his brothers was sent to London to be educated, I think this was because his aunt Edith Foster was a school teacher or head mistress in a catholic school.
    There were nuns at the school and I know this because my father who was left handed was made to write with his right hand by them, and he was not impressed!
    I would very much like to identify the school, so if anyone has any ideas how I go about this I would be very grateful.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi SLFoster

If you have their names and dates of birth that will be a start. You'd have to at least know the rough area within London this school was. You could start by finding where his aunt Edith Foster lived.

Ben

Mutley

I have not looked around this site.
    London District Catholic School Board
    but there maybe a contact address that you could email/send the names.

This is another Catholiclinks.org.

If you spend some time on Google there maybe more.

A fountain of knowledge

If she was a headmistress, then she may be named with the school in the London central or suburban directories on the Historical Directories website.

She may have registered as a teacher, though not every teacher did. One of the genealogy websites has teachers' registrations. Its free search gives a hit for Edith Foster in a broad area which includes teachers, but you have to pay to home in and I don't currently have a sub. As it's a commercial site, I can't mention it here, but will PM you.

Colin Moretti

SoG publishes An Index of London Schools and their Records by Cliff Webb. It lists the vast majority of schools within the old LCC area, including church schools, the dates they were open, what records are know to survive and where the records are held. As there are more than 100 pages in the schools listing it's not an easy browse but there are certainly quite a few RC schools listed, unfortunately for many there seem to be no records surviving (or at least listed).

Good luck

Colin