Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanning

Colin Rowledge

Default Fanning

After opening a thread headed "Forum Etiquette" there has been enough responses that I believe a new thread is in order.

Here is what I know
    December 1927 Reginald Fanning maried Florence Priscilla Rowledge - the marriage took pkace in Willesden

Reginald was born September 1901 in Croydon, Surrey

The 1911 census shows this family:
    Ellen Fanning - spouse of head - aged 46
    Alfred Digby Fanning - head - aged 44
    Ellen Eva Fanning - daughter - aged 17
    Alfred Digby M. Fanning - son - aged 14
    Margaret Jane F. Fanning - daughter - aged 12
    and
    Reginald.
    All lived in Croydon

The 1901 census shows the family living at 52, Palace Road, Penge [Kent]
    There were a few changes in that residence. Details as follows:
    Thomas D. Fanning - Head - Widower - aged 69
    Alice Beer - Servant - aged 17
    Frederick H. Ackerman - Son-in-law - single - aged 28

Marriages:
    Alfred Digby Fanning to [COLOR="red"] to Ellen Ackerman - March 1893 - St. OLave

Thomas Digby Fanning to Jane Evans - March 1865 - St. Giles.

After Reg. and Florence married, her 2 elder brothers and her parents made very disparaging remarks in the 1930's about "THAT GERMAN FAMILY". Could it be that Ackerman is German?

Help on the above would be most appreciated. Also, if any body knows anything about the family [Alfred Digby, Eva and Ellen] That would be appreciated also.

I do know that Alfred Digby sailed to South Africa aboard the 'Capetown Castle' [Union Castle Line] November 14, 1957. His redience address was 24 Steelestone Close, Edmonton, London. He was single and hi occupation was listed as 'Engineer'

Thanks
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 24-08-2009 at 2:36 PM. Reason: Adding link

Hallo Colin

I have added a link to your previous thread and have moved this new one from the One Name Stdies Forum, as that is for people offering help on a particular surname that they have a great deal of information on.

As your query covers a few areas I have moved it to General FH Queries.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Colin Rowledge

Thanks, Sue, I wasn't sure which forum to post it on. I appreciate the help all you Super Moderators and others are providing me with.

If I had to pay researchers for this I'd be having to go back to work.

Colin

Nicolina

Colin, if the Ackermans were German, then it appears that it was from very early on. The people who made the remarks could just have been assiociating the name with Germany.
    This is probably Ellen from the 1871 Census:
    RG10 /547/107 Page: 15
    White Horse Street, Stepney
    ACKERMAN, Joseph Head M 33 1838 b. St Anne's, Soho occ: Wire worker
    ACKERMAN, Ann Wife F 30 1841 b. Reading, Berkshire
    ACKERMAN, Susan A Daughter F 9 1862 b. Reading, Berkshire
    ACKERMAN, Annie M Daughter F 7 1864 b. Guildford, Surrey
    ACKERMAN, Ellen Daughter F 5 1866 b. Guildford, Surrey
    ACKERMAN, Sarah Sun Daughter F 3 1868 b. Stepney, Middlesex
    ACKERMAN, Joseph Son M 1 1870 b. Stepney, Middlesex

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

I do know that Alfred Digby sailed to South Africa aboard the 'Capetown Castle' [Union Castle Line] November 14, 1957. His redience address was 24 Steelestone Close, Edmonton, London. He was single and hi occupation was listed as 'Engineer'

Thanks
    Alfred Digby Fanning's immigration papers are at https://www.national.archives.gov.za/ (Enter just the name Fanning into the search box, as they come under A.D. Fanning but entering initials in the search is problematical) There was a G.E. Fanning who immigrated just a few years earlier - is he one of yours?

Sadly the documents are at Cape Archives, where they do not allow digital cameras, so eggsa can't get copies for you. You might need to get a local researcher to go in and transcribe them for you.
    Sue Mackay

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Alfred Digby Fanning's immigration papers are at https://www.national.archives.gov.za/ (Enter just the name Fanning into the search box, as they come under A.D. Fanning but entering initials in the search is problematical) There was a G.E. Fanning who immigrated just a few years earlier - is he one of yours?

Sadly the documents are at Cape Archives, where they do not allow digital cameras, so eggsa can't get copies for you. You might need to get a local researcher to go in and transcribe them for you.
    Can anybody get these for me? Does anyone have any information about Alfred Digby from 1914 on and up to his migration to S.A.?

Thanks

Can anybody get these for me? Does anyone have any information about Alfred Digby from 1914 on and up to his migration to S.A.?

Thanks
    You can, I believe, get copies from the SA National Archives via the link I gave, but be prepared to wait!

You could try subscribing to one of the Rootsweb SA Mailing lists and asking if there is anyone who could do a look-up for you. Otherwise you will need to employ a researcher. Send me a Private Message if you need a couple of names of researchers to try.
    Sue Mackay

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    You can, I believe, get copies from the SA National Archives via the link I gave, but be prepared to wait!

You could try subscribing to one of the Rootsweb SA Mailing lists and asking if there is anyone who could do a look-up for you. Otherwise you will need to employ a researcher. Send me a Private Message if you need a couple of names of researchers to try.
    Thanks Sue - can it wait until tomorrow? My original post on this site was quite long, I then tried to post on USA Gene site [and lost everything due to a power outage] , re-submitted just now after posting a 'pet hate'

My dad wants supper so "goodbye" for now

Colin Rowledge

Thanks Sue - can it wait until tomorrow? My original post on this site was quite long, I then tried to post on USA Gene site [and lost everything due to a power outage] , re-submitted just now after posting a 'pet hate'

My dad wants supper so "goodbye" for now
    Wrong, agaim I posted a long 'blurb' on Fanning that is another forum link - headed 'Fanning'

Colin Rowledge

Default Fanning Ancestors

I am hopeful of filling in some more blanks on the Ancestors of Reginald George and Alfred Digby Fanning.

Parents were
    Alfred Digby -born 1866 - Norwood
    Ellen [nee Ackerman] - born 1865 - Guildford

Married 1893

1911 Lived in Penge

Grandparents were:
    Thomas Digby - born 1832/34 - Whitechapel
    Jane [nee Evans] -1837 - Rhydor, Radnorshire

Married 1865

Thomas died 1907 in Penge

Great grandparents
    Thomas - born 1796 - possibly Whitechapel