NatashaBatsford

Default RAF Base near Gravely

Hi All

I was wondering if I might ask a question on behalf of a good friend.

His grandfather was in the RAF and was shot down during WWII but until recently he knew relatively little about where he was based.

It now transpires he was at a base near St Neots (Gravely to be precise) in, I believe 35 squadron.

My friend has gone to visit the site, which is now largely demolished and although he has looked online, can find relatively little about this base.

He would love to see some contextual information for his grandfather’s career - maps, photos, anything of that sort - but is really struggling to track anything down.

Can anyone suggest any resources, or even better, does anyone have anything they might be able to share with me via PM?

Thanks
    Tash

NatashaBatsford

Oh and I just meant to say, I have googled RAF Gravely for him already - I was looking for things not readily available to the public, such as maps and photos

If you put RAF Gravely into Google Image Search then the photo on the extreme right of the second row leads you to rafweb.org, where you seem to be able to post queries that might be seen by those in the know.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator

It's spelt Graveley, so if you search you will find a few articles.

The site is still there. I used to live in Yelling (next to Graveley). There is a memorial between Yelling and Graveley but it is on private land so you will need permissison to view it.

If you search Graveley Airfield war Memorial, you should find a photograph.

NatashaBatsford

Thanks guys, I'll follow those leads. I appreciate it

Redboots2005

Hi There,

If you haven't already, you should apply for his service records. This is easily done. Go to www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/sar.pdf and fill it in, if you are next living kin you can apply directly. However, if like me there is someone else who is a nearer kin you need to get their written permission.

In my case it was my aunt. I explained what I wanted to do, wrote the letter on her behalf and she signed it. I recieved the records about 3 week later. best thing i ever did, very interesting, would recommend it.

Oh, but there is a fee, but I think it is priceless.

Good Luck

Jan1954

Natasha,

Your friend may also be interested in this book. It should provide some context as to what their grandfather was living through at the time.

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Roll of Honour Website

Try googling for "RAF Graveley roll of honour" - the first result may be of particular help, but the others could be worth looking at too.

Arthur

Natasha
    You mentioned 35 Sqn, try Googling that and there is a vast amount of information that may help you build up a picture of his life on the squadron.

mori-lync

There are some photos of RAF Graveley on htt://rafgraveley.files.wordpress.com I lived in Yelling a nearby village to Graveley and my father was stationed there until around 1949 Does anyone have any photos of personnel from there?