macca234

Default Payne Family Bootmakers

Hello
    I am trying to find any reference to an Edwin Payne (Edwyn Payne) Bootmaker from Islington London.

He was born in 1838/9 in Brighton -

He married Amelia Summers who died in childbirth in 1865 - their daughter being named after her mother.

Edwyn then married Mary Ann Ester Green in 1871 and they had 3 daughters and 1 son
    Flora 1873
    Mary Ann E 1872 (known as Dolly)
    Nellie 1877
    Edwin H 1875

The family story goes that he made boots for the gentry and was a member of the Masons. Apparently spending a lot of money with them. He was also to have been at a dinner with a member of royalty to do with the Masonic side I believe.

What I am interested in finding is if he did have a very good and well known Boot making company in London. I have not been able to find anything myself.

He lived in 177 Essex Road Islington in 1881 and 3 Victoria Road Middlesex in 1891

Finding anything about this member of my past, would be great.

thank you
    Macca

Jan1954

Hello Macca,

Your best starting point would probably be to have a look in directories of the time. They should list employers as well as private addresses.

macca234

Default Edwin Payne bootmaker

Hello
    Please can you let me know if you mean any specific directories? I am quite new to this sort of look up and know there are different directories, especially when looking in London. Where shall I start please.

thank you
    Macca

Keyboard86

Hi Macca, I googled Edwyn Payne Bootmaker, about 2 down might interest you, that is unless you were already aware of it.

Best regards
    Keyboard86

Mutley

There is further information regarding the family on

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=49978

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=49963

Think it best to close this thread to avoid duplication.