JudithFW

Question Possible non-conformist Bennets

Can anyone help. I'm looking for birth or marriage records of a William Bennet born about 1806 in Sheviock cornwall.
    I know that he was living there in 1841 as he appears in the census but I can find no baptismal records for any of his children..or wedding records or even death records so I'm guessing/hoping he might have been a non-corformist.

I am new to all this and have no idea how to go about searching for a non-conformist so is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a commercial website which you can find by googling bmdregisters.co.uk. Images of registrations from various RG series are available for download. I don't know whether their indices are complete.

The closest I can find in their free index search is a William Bennett baptism in 1816 in Cornwall.

Adele

JAP1

Hi Judith,

I see that William BENNET was married to a Sophia, and that his first child was born in 1831.

Is this (from the IGI on FamilySearch - it's free) a possibility for his marriage.
    William BENNET & Sophia LESCURTE, m 1 Jul 1828, Sheviock Cornwall.

If you do a parent search on the IGI - put William BENNET in the father box, Sophia in the mother box, and select British Isles, England, Cornwall - a long list of appropriate baptisms in Sheviock appears (mostly rendered as BENNETT but the IGI combines this with BENNET).

Best of luck,

JAP

Hugh Thompson

HI Judith, I found these two entrys in the IGI, both extracted so they should be correct.
    Hugh.
    WILLIAM BENNET
    Birth: 05 JUN 1806
    Christening: 15 JUN 1806 Sheviock, Cornwall, England.
    Parents; Henry Bennet & Mary Teague.
    -------------------------------------
    Marriage
    WILLIAM BENNET & SOPHIA LESCURTE
    01 JUL 1828 Sheviock, Cornwall, England
    ---------------------------------------

JAP1

Hi again Judith,

Re my post above (reply #2).

The children listed are:

Henry BENNETT bap 25 Oct 1829
    Mary BENNETT bap 27 Nov 1831
    Hannah BENNETT bap 2 Feb 1834
    William BENNETT bap 10 Dec 1837
    Jane BENNET bap 22 Dec 1839
    Elizabeth BENNETT bap 3 Mar 1844
    Richard BENNETT bap 8 Nov 1846

There's also an Anne 1836 and a John 1842 - presumably they did not survive.

Regards

JAP
    PS: The site is https://www.familysearch.org

JudithFW

Smile

Thanks very much all those who found this out for me. It was a great help. Hopefully I'll be able to follow back through a bit and now that I know about IGI I might be able to work on some other parts of the tree where I had got stuck.
    Thanks again
    Jude