darylr

Unhappy William Bruce - Where Did He Go ?

Hi,

I was hoping someone out there could help me with this mystery ?

I have an ancestor named William Bruce b. 26 May 1871 who was a master stone mason from Brechin, Angus. In March 1915 he purchased clothing for a trip overseas etc. from Paisleys, Glasgow for a warmer climate, from which we think he never returned. He was stated as deceased on his daughter's wedding cert in Feb 1918.

Could he have travelled overseas during the war ? I would love to know what happened to him, as it's a family mystery.

Regards,

Daryl

What was William's occupation? His wife and children's names?
    He may or may not have been deceased in 1918. His daughter may just have been thoroughly fed up with him because he left them. But if she knew he was deceased then that indicates that someone knew of William and his travels between purchasing the clothes for a colder climate in 1915 and his daughters wedding in 1918.
    Any information to separate William from all the others that appear in searches would be helpful.
    Christina

Wirral

On ScotlandsPeople there is a death listed for William BRUCE, born 1871, in 1917 in Glasgow. You can search their index without paying, but you need to pay to view the results of the search & to view the entry in the register.
    What was William BRUCE's mother's maiden name?

darylr

Unhappy

Hi,

William's father was David Bruce, from Logie Pert, & his mother was Mary Shirrat married 9 June 1865 in Brechin. David married again in 1894 to Isabella Stevenson Keillor, after Mary died in 1892.

William's wife was Abigail Jane Tedford they married on 29 Dec 1893 in Meadow Rd, Partick. Their daughter Bessie b. 27 Sept 1894 in Partick, was my grandmother.

William was stated as a Foreman Stone Mason on the census in 1901.

Regards,

Daryl

Wirral

That death in 1917 is still a match, but the index does indicate that the maiden name of the mother was not recorded on the death certificate. That would not be unusual if William died away from home, where the person registering his death might not know him.

darylr

Unhappy

Hi,

I had a look at the death cert for 1917 on Scotland's People, and unfortunately it wasn't a match for my William . He had a middle name, and he died in Dennistoun which isn't where his family lived at the time, they would have been in Ralston Terr, Anniesland.

Thanks for looking anyway.

Regards,

Daryl

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by darylr View Post
    Hi,

I had a look at the death cert for 1917 on Scotland's People, and unfortunately it wasn't a match for my William . He had a middle name, and he died in Dennistoun which isn't where his family lived at the time, they would have been in Ralston Terr, Anniesland.
    I thought your Wiiliam BRUCE was from Brechin. What is the Anniesland connection?

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by darylr View Post
    I have an ancestor named William Bruce b. 26 May 1871 who was a master stone mason from Brechin, Angus. In March 1915 he purchased clothing for a trip overseas etc. from Paisleys, Glasgow for a warmer climate, from which we think he never returned.
    I've just been thinking (a rare occurrence!). I originally read this as "he travelled from Brechin & didn't return from a shopping trip to Paisley, Glasgow". On second reading it could be "he was originally from Brechin, went to Paisley to buy clothes, then went overseas & didn't return from overseas".

darylr

Unhappy

Hi,

Yes, William was born in Brechin but by 1915 he was living in Anniesland, Glasgow with his wife Abigail. 'Paisleys', was a well known store situated in Glasgow at the time. I still have the original receipt for his purchases! He bought various khaki clothes plus a helmet in April 1915, after that he must have travelled overseas, and never came home.

Regards,

Daryl