Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

John, the son? Harriet's brother. Also wife named Elizabeth.
    1880 US census Newark NJ Roll T9_776 Enumeration District 19 Image 0406

John C Henn head age 29 Saddler born England
    Elizabeth wife 28, keeping house, born New York, both parents born England
    George S 10 months, son, born New Jersey.
    Christina

1880 USA census Newark Essex New Jersey.

Nassaw Street

George Page head, 21, occupation hatter, born New Jersey, both parents born England
    Harietta (their spelling) wife, 21, keeps house, born New Jersey, both parents born England
    George Page, son, 4 months, born Jan 1890, New Jersey, both parents born New Jersey.

So now we know George snr. was also born in England.
    Christina

1910 census Newark Essex New Jersey East Orange ward
    Thomas Harper Head age 57 occ. forger. married twice, no children of this marriage, born in England as were both his parents
    Harriet Harper wife, 50, 3 children, none of this marriage, married twice, born NJ, both parents married England.
    Gilbert J Page, stepson, age 30 Single occ. produce, has own wagon, born New Jersey, both parents English.
    For a birth certificate for Harriet type New Jersey genealogy in to search engine and the New Jersey State archives will be one of the sites. It explains how to go about ordering the certs.
    Christina

georgiep

Christina, what wonderful info you have found!
    Divorced, well it was only for the toffs in UK,
    perhaps easier in US?

Robbie if you go to LDS free census you can find Harriet.
    1880 Georg Page 21 as spelt hatter bn NJ father/mother born England
    Harietta 21 as for Georg
    Gilbert J 4 mnths
    Newark NJ

Georgie

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    1900 US census New Jersey, Hudson, Harrison, ward 4
    Roll T623_972 page 19A Enumeration District 20
    Census taken 13 June 1900

Elizabeth Henn widowed age 73 Landlord to US in 1858 42 years in US
    Heriot (their spelling) E Page dau born Sept 1860 New Jersey age 39 Divorced Mother of 3 children, 3 children living, both parents born in England.
    Gilbert J Page grandson age 20 born Jan 1880 NJ occupation Pressman printer both parents born New Jersey
    Henry C(?) Page grandson age 17 born Aug 1882 New Jersey Occupation glass blower. Both parents born NJ

All can read write and speak English.
    Christina
    Slap on wrist for me I missed the third child William C born Oct 1884 also a glass blower like his brother Harry (another slap on wrist I typed Henry).

Quote Originally Posted by georgiep View Post
    Christina, what wonderful info you have found!
    Divorced, well it was only for the toffs in UK,
    perhaps easier in US?
    Georgie
    Thanks Georgie, if you hadn't mentioned divorce I wouldn't have gone back to the census to check and William would still be missing.
    I went back to make sure I had the divorce bit right and I had. I really don't know much about USA genealogy I just happen to have a sub that will let me find stuff - sometimes.
    Christina

robbiej

Talking

You people should have doz of medals... You are ssoooo good
    at squirreling out !
    THANK YOU BIG TIME...
    I have so much to go on now, I will be kept busy for a few days,
    that's for sure.

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    1851 census ....
    John Henn 29 coach harness dresser...
    Would a "harness dresser" be someone who rubbed leather-dressing into the harness, or someone who put on all the buckles, horse-brasses, bell-mountings, etc.?

The latter possibility could relate to John's later occupation of silver plater. Jane

thehenns

Hello! I have no idea if this thread is ever checked as it is 5 years old, but here goes. My great-grandfather was Alfred Henn. The Harriet of whom you write was his sister. Eliz Ray or Roe has stumped me as I have seen both. Have there been any other discoveries?
    Yours, Mark Henn

robbiej

Hi.. It seems that robbiej has been doing a lot of work !! searching of Harriett etc. but unfortunately it is not me (robbiej in Christchurch NZ who started this)
    A Mystery, however not a bad one for Robbiej has obtained and put forward such a lot that I doubtless would not have been able to do. I am such a novice at all this.
    My main purpose in putting forward regarding Harriett Henn (who married for the third time in New Jersey USA,, my Grandfather Edward Robertson of Leith Glasgow Scotland UK) was in an effort to find relatives living who might just have a photograph of them. I have NO photographs of my ancestors at all. Not one. Only my parents and siblings and a couple of aunts and uncles on Mother's side. but NOTHING on father's side. This I suspect is something that will never be. ... but strange things happen and I was hoping.
    But for all that, I appreciate all the info regarding Harriett Henn... which reminds me of the song.. Hey little Hen, when when when, will you lay me an egg for my tea ?...
    You are all fabulous. Keep going !!
    Jan W ...robbiej of Christchurch NZ the earthquake city!.

robbiej

entered by mistake

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast