Thread: Wallers of Ware

Lone Pine

Default Wallers of Ware

I have reached the end of my research with this family as every eldest son, had a son called John Waller, and then next son called, for arguments sake William also called his eldest son John and so on. I just don't know how to sort this out.

I do know that my Great Grandfather was brought up in a pub called the "Black" something in Ware, his father was a brick maker who had his business I presume in the pub's courtyard.

Any info on the pub would be gratefully received.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Pine
    I have reached the end of my research with this family as every eldest son, had a son called John Waller, and then next son called, for arguments sake William also called his eldest son John and so on. I just don't know how to sort this out.
    It takes time, but with methodical research can usually be sorted out. It partially depends on the source documents being used.

I do know that my Great Grandfather was brought up in a pub called the "Black" something in Ware, his father was a brick maker who had his business I presume in the pub's courtyard.
    Have you tried a directory of the period to work through a list of pubs which contain the name 'Black'?

Was this about the time that a census is available?

Is your gt-gt-grandfather recorded as a brickmaker in a directory?

Reputation beyond repute

I would be very surprised if working your way slowly and carefully through the parish register* doesn't sort it all out with a minimum of heartache.

*By 'parish register' I mean just that. If you don't want to go to the record office, you can get hold of the film through the Mormons.

petercornish

Default Wallers of Ware

The 1881 census records the family of Charles and Rosa WALLER at the Black Swan Inn, Priory Road, Ware, under reference RG11/1402 F.33. P.6. Their eldest son was John.

Regards ... Peter