Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    terrysfamily

Default which comes first bapt. or reg.

Are you supposed to reg. a childs birth before bapt. or doesn't it matter? this would be back in the 1840's, and how long after birth was the deadline for registation?

I'm stuck trying to find the birth registration of a relitive.

MythicalMarian

I don't think it really mattered, Terry - they were two separate things. You had six weeks to register a birth, and you could baptise at any time. I have lots of instances of baptism first, and birth reg. first - so it seems to even itself out.

Funnily enough, with the wonderful site that deals with certain parish registers in a northern county (no names no pack drill) I only a couple of days ago found two missing baps for a family - one for my great grandma and the other for her brother. All her sibs had been bap'd at Manchester Cathedral - but she and older bro were done at St. Martin and St. Jude for some reason. The funny thing is, I have her birth certificate which states she was born on 11th October 1846 and registered on 11th November 1846 - that month may seem a bit convenient, and it was. Her baptism in November actually gives her date of birth as 27th September 1846. I think her parents may have actually fibbed about her birth at the register office because she was registered just outside the six week rule!

MarkJ

A baptism is a religious thing - not legally required.

Regarding the registration - as Marian says, 6 weeks was the time.

Have a read of the website link below, which is well worth spending an hour or so absorbing. Each type of registration is covered, with notes about the content, legal requirements plus the odd things which turn up from time to time.

https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Mark

terrysfamily

Samuel Wadd married Elizabeth Hogg in Frodingham, Lincolnshire 5th June 1838

Daughter

Sarah Elizabeth Wadd bapt. Winteringham, Lincolnshire 11th February 1844

On Sarah’s marriage cert to my Grt Grandfather in 1864 her age is 20 years, so why can’t i find a birth register for Sarah in 1844?

I’ve looked on FreeMBD but the only Elizabeth Wadd (no Sarah at all) is reg’d in Uppingham and it says The district Uppingham spans the boundaries of the counties of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Rutland and this was a Sept 1844 reg., which is a little outside the 6 week window.

Perplexed!

MythicalMarian

Terry, have you tried Sarah Ann Watt Horncastle Sep 1843 14 418 ? If she married in June 0f 64 she might still only be 20 as she wasn't registered until the September quarter. Wadd is a very odd name for a registrar to get right or a transcriber, perhaps.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    On Sarah’s marriage cert to my Grt Grandfather in 1864 her age is 20 years, so why can’t i find a birth register for Sarah in 1844?
    Terry,

Registration of births was not a legally enforcible requirement for parents until 1875. Before that date it was the responsibility of the registrar to "seek out" births on his patch, and consequently many births in the earlier years of civil registration slipped through the net. It could be that Sarah Elizabeth was one of these.

Crosby in Lincolnshire, where the family was living in 1851 and where the children are said to be born, is near Scunthorpe and comes under Glanford Brigg registration district. There are likely registrations in Glanford Brigg for the two youngest children, William WADD and Agnes WADD. Either of those birth certificates should confirm the mother's maiden name.

Perhaps one of these certificates, taken together with the 1844 baptism for Sarah Elizabeth, will be the closest you can get to "proof" of her parentage.

Kerrywood
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 02-08-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: word missing

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Crosby in Lincolnshire, where the family was living in 1851 and where the children are said to be born, is near Scunthorpe and comes under Glanford Brigg registration district. There are likely registrations in Glanford Brigg for the two youngest children, William WADD and Agnes WADD. Either of those birth certificates should confirm the mother's maiden name.
    Thank you for the information from the 1851 census, I hadn't got this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Perhaps one of these certificates, taken together with the 1844 baptism for Sarah Elizabeth, will be the closest you can get to "proof" of her parentage.

Kerrywood
    I know who her parents are as someone else was researching the family name too, it's just that I was trying to tie up lose ends and get her birth cert.

The witnesses on their marriage cert was Mary Wadd (I assumed, rightly or wrongly, this to be Sarah's older sister) and Issac Hogg (who i assume is her mothers brother)
    Her Father was Samual Wadd a Blacksmith.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Thank you for the information from the 1851 census, I hadn't got this.
    Sorry, I assumed you already had the 1851

HO107; Piece: 2117; Folio: 218; Page: 22
    Crosby, Lincolnshire
    Samuel WADD Head Mar 36 Blacksmith Burton Lincolnshire
    Elizabeth WADD Wife Mar 33 Crosby Lincolnshire
    Ameilea WADD Daur Un 11 Crosby Lincolnshire
    Mary WADD Daur Un 9 Crosby Lincolnshire
    Sarah Elizabeth WADD Daur 7 Crosby Lincolnshire
    William WADD Son 5 Crosby Lincolnshire
    Agness WADD Daur 3 Crosby Lincolnshire
    John WADD Son 1 Crosby Lincolnshire
    Joseph LAMING? Jurnyman Un 19 Blacksmith (Journeyman) Flixbro Lincolnshire

Kerrywood

terrysfamily

Awww Kerrywood you're a bloomin star Thankyou very much

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    Terry, have you tried Sarah Ann Watt Horncastle Sep 1843 14 418 ? If she married in June 0f 64 she might still only be 20 as she wasn't registered until the September quarter. Wadd is a very odd name for a registrar to get right or a transcriber, perhaps.
    I don't think this Sarah Ann is any connection to Sarah Elizabeth.
    In 1851 the Wadd family are living in Crosby, which is in Glan(d)ford Brigg registration district, and is where some of Sarah's siblings are registered.
    (Though I confess that I can't readily find a Sarah Watt on the 1851 census. But then I am looking on A** ) Also Sarah's father is a blacksmith, so not the sort of occupation I would have thought you would have upped-sticks for a couple of years.

Terrysfamily - although FreeBMD is regarded as almost-complete to about 1900, with the vast number of pages per quarter it only needs a relatively few to still be untranscribed for a 100% completion to show, so it is still necessary to check to the GRO Index. Which I've done for 1843-1845, without success.
    I did check on FreeBMD for Sarahs and Sarah Elizabeths born 1843-1845 Glandford Brigg district in case there was a possible mistake in the original Index, but there didn't seem to be any likely Hadd/Madd/Wedd etc entries shouting for my attention.
    Pam

(Not only Kerrywood, but also terrysfamily crossposted whilst I was doing my typing. :cry: )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast