Tedrob

Default CALIFORNIAN HISTORY RECORDS

Hi All,

I am trying to get copies of six letters written by a great uncle in California to his father in England c1850. I have contacted the History Section of the California Library and provided them with the archive reference details. They were very quick to respond until I told them I lived in OZ and now I can't seem to get a response. Can anyone suggest I would be able to get a copy of these documents without having to attend the library in Sacramento?

Ted

Nicolina

could they not scan and email you copies? I would certainly try asking them, if I were you.

ET in the USA

I'm 800 miles north, but on the same coast & in the same time zone, if they like that better. Also available via U.S. mail, so if that is a sticking point, PM me & they can send to me, I'll scan & email to you. Maybe they want to charge you money & don't want AU$. First you have to get them to speak to you again.
    Elaine

Tedrob

Nicolina,

They have told me there are something like 18 pages plus about 5 pages of summaries and partial transcripts. The frustrating part about all this is that if the costs are correct we are talking about $11US. I asked them to confirm for me that the costs would be sufficient for copy and more importantly, postage, and haven't heard back - I even offered them a credit card!!

ET,

Thanks very mcuh for the offer. I will try and email them again or maybe ring them. I know things are tough in CA but gee whizz!!

Thanks, will keep you "posted"

Ted

ET in the USA

I'll be off-line Aug 6 - 13, in case you don't receive my expected reply.

Things are for sure tough in California, but even if they are short staffed, you would think that they would jump at a chance for any $$$$$$$ .
    Elaine

Tedrob

Nicolina & Elaine,

Rang the library this morning (oz time) and spoke to them direct. Have now sorted out what they want and will be sending them a bank cheque for the grand sum of $US13.00. That is probably less than the cost of the phone call!! Thanks for your support.

Ted

ET in the USA

Congrats. I hope it proves to be interesting reading.
    ET