Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Cool DICKIE IN MAGHERAFELT, LONDONDERRY

My ancestor Thomas James Dickie, married Margaret Ballantyne 15 June 1854, Tamlaugh Tower, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland. They had 12 children christened in Innisrush, Londonderry. Thomas was the son of Samuel Dickie christened Feb. 1832 in Innisrush. I have no additional information on Samuel and Dickie is not a common name in Ireland. Samuel Dickie does not appear in the Old Parish records for Scotland either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

donm41

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    My ancestor Thomas James Dickie, married Margaret Ballantyne 15 June 1854, Tamlaugh Tower, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland. They had 12 children christened in Innisrush, Londonderry. Thomas was the son of Samuel Dickie christened Feb. 1832 in Innisrush. I have no additional information on Samuel and Dickie is not a common name in Ireland. Samuel Dickie does not appear in the Old Parish records for Scotland either. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi Jackie,
    I am assisting a friend of a friend, (honestly) who shares the same ancestry as yourself with Thomas James Dickie & Margaret Ballantyne. He has no knowledge of how to research genealogy hence my involvement.

His grandfather, Robert, born April 19th 1855, son of Thomas & Margaret, married Aggie (Agness, sic) MacKay at Polmaine Quarry, Bannockburn, Sterling Sept 24th 1875. She died in 1901 and he remarried in 1902 and had further children in the second marriage.

I would be most grateful if you would consider sharing some of your research of the family. I have only started with the 'bare bones' of his family ten days ago but have UK census details from 1881 to 1911. You can PM me if you feel that would be suitable.

Regards

Don

Cool Family of Thomas and Margaret

Hi Don, I know I have posted information to you personally but thought I would put this family group on line and perhaps find more descendants of this line. This is on the "Irish" site because these people are from Ireland and hopefully, someone will have some ideas so I can continue to find more information on them.
    This information is from old Bible Records, 1881 census of Barony, Lanark, Scotland and the 1900 census of Rhode Island.
    Thomas Dickie, born Feb. 1832 in Ireland. Parents born in Ireland, a joiner,married 46 yrs.
    Margaret J. Dickie (wife) born May 1835, mother of 13 children, 10 living, she is born in Ireland as are her parents. She is a housewife.
    There marriage license shows Thomas Dickie and Margaret Boniton although her married name is Ballantyne on her youngest daughters birth certificate and when I ordered the certificate, I asked for Thomas Dickie and Margaret Ballantyne. They were married in Tannelagh Tower, Derry (where could I get more records for this parish?)
    On their marriage certificate, his father's name is Samuel and her father's name is Robert.
    Thomas and Margaret died in Cumberland, Providence Co, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    --------------------------
    CHILDREN:
    Robert Dickey, born 19 Apr 1855 in Innisrush, Derry, Ireland and did not come to the U.S.A. with his parents and siblings.

Samuel Dickey, born 2 Dec. 1856, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland Married Barbara Walker Moyes in Dundee, Scotland and they died in Calgary,Alberta, Canada (my husband's direct line)

John O. Dickey (on 1881 census only, age 22, born abt 1859) a Mason

Thomas Dickey, born 1 May 1861, Innisrush, Derry Ireland
    Widower on the 1900 census in Rhode Island

Joseph Armour Dickey, born 20 Jul 1863, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Family Bible Records state there is a "connection" with the Armour family in Ireland but so far, I have been unable to find it.

James Dickey, born 20 July 1865, Bellaghy, Derry, Ireland

Mary Dickey, born 14 Jan. 1868, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Still single on 1900 census, a cottonweaver

Gerald Ballantine Dickey, born 26 July 1870, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Gerald also came to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
    Married: Violet

William Morrison Dickey, born 6 Oct. 1872, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Married: Isabelle before 1904, probably in Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Bible record: Still alive in 1961, lives in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Catherine Dickey, born 18 July 1877, Glasgow, Scotland
    Still single on the 1900 census, a ring spinner (no idea what that occupation is)

Emiley Dickey, born 22 Feb. 1880, Bridgetown, Glasgow, Scotland
    Still single on 1900 census, occupation a speeder loutes (no idea what that is either)
    Bible record: Still alive in 1961, never married, lives in Pawtucket, Rhode Island
    ------------------
    More on Margaret Boniton/Ballantyne. Directly above her marriage license (I received a sheet with two marriages) was Robert Boniton and Margaret Anne Armstrong and Robert's father is also Robert same as Margaret's and listed as a farmer in both places.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

donm41

Hi Jacky

I can't thank you enough for the information which you so kindly sent to me. I certainly realise the full value of the hours of endless research you must have done to gather so many details of the family. I do hope that other Dickie researchers have the same luck as I did when I just Googled some critical family details.

Good to see that one member of the family shares my birth date & month, and another incorporates my surname. I'm not related surely.

Don

sideroff

Default Dickie family

I have some additional information of the dickie family line

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    Hi Don, I know I have posted information to you personally but thought I would put this family group on line and perhaps find more descendants of this line. This is on the "Irish" site because these people are from Ireland and hopefully, someone will have some ideas so I can continue to find more information on them.
    This information is from old Bible Records, 1881 census of Barony, Lanark, Scotland and the 1900 census of Rhode Island.
    Thomas Dickie, born Feb. 1832 in Ireland. Parents born in Ireland, a joiner,married 46 yrs.
    Margaret J. Dickie (wife) born May 1835, mother of 13 children, 10 living, she is born in Ireland as are her parents. She is a housewife.
    There marriage license shows Thomas Dickie and Margaret Boniton although her married name is Ballantyne on her youngest daughters birth certificate and when I ordered the certificate, I asked for Thomas Dickie and Margaret Ballantyne. They were married in Tannelagh Tower, Derry (where could I get more records for this parish?)
    On their marriage certificate, his father's name is Samuel and her father's name is Robert.
    Thomas and Margaret died in Cumberland, Providence Co, Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    --------------------------
    CHILDREN:
    Robert Dickey, born 19 Apr 1855 in Innisrush, Derry, Ireland and did not come to the U.S.A. with his parents and siblings.

Samuel Dickey, born 2 Dec. 1856, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland Married Barbara Walker Moyes in Dundee, Scotland and they died in Calgary,Alberta, Canada (my husband's direct line)

John O. Dickey (on 1881 census only, age 22, born abt 1859) a Mason

Thomas Dickey, born 1 May 1861, Innisrush, Derry Ireland
    Widower on the 1900 census in Rhode Island

Joseph Armour Dickey, born 20 Jul 1863, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Family Bible Records state there is a "connection" with the Armour family in Ireland but so far, I have been unable to find it.

James Dickey, born 20 July 1865, Bellaghy, Derry, Ireland

Mary Dickey, born 14 Jan. 1868, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Still single on 1900 census, a cottonweaver

Gerald Ballantine Dickey, born 26 July 1870, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Gerald also came to Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
    Married: Violet

William Morrison Dickey, born 6 Oct. 1872, Innisrush, Derry, Ireland
    Married: Isabelle before 1904, probably in Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Bible record: Still alive in 1961, lives in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

Catherine Dickey, born 18 July 1877, Glasgow, Scotland
    Still single on the 1900 census, a ring spinner (no idea what that occupation is)

Emiley Dickey, born 22 Feb. 1880, Bridgetown, Glasgow, Scotland
    Still single on 1900 census, occupation a speeder loutes (no idea what that is either)
    Bible record: Still alive in 1961, never married, lives in Pawtucket, Rhode Island
    ------------------
    More on Margaret Boniton/Ballantyne. Directly above her marriage license (I received a sheet with two marriages) was Robert Boniton and Margaret Anne Armstrong and Robert's father is also Robert same as Margaret's and listed as a farmer in both places.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

sideroff

Default Dickie family tree

I have some additional information of the dickie family line
    Quote Originally Posted by donm41 View Post
    Hi Jacky

I can't thank you enough for the information which you so kindly sent to me. I certainly realise the full value of the hours of endless research you must have done to gather so many details of the family. I do hope that other Dickie researchers have the same luck as I did when I just Googled some critical family details.

Good to see that one member of the family shares my birth date & month, and another incorporates my surname. I'm not related surely.

Don

sideroff

I have addition information of the Dickie family tree from Samuel Dickie in Canada

Knowledgeable and helpful

Re the surname Dickie, you should expect the spelling to change in Ireland. Having an exact spelling is very much a 20th century preoccupation and our ancestors in Ireland and Scotland in the 18th & 19th centuries didn’t bother at all. The spelling varied according to the whim of the person recording the information. Looking at the 1831 census for Co. Derry there are 14 Dickey households in Co. Derry. In the parish of Tamlaght O’Crilly (which includes Inishrush) there was only one - William Dickey in Killymuck townland. The only Samuel Dickey listed was in the townland of Drumlamph in the parish of Maghera. Perhaps he moved to Inishrush.

Robert Boniton (modern Ballentine) is listed for Inishrush village in the 1831 census, and also appears in Griffiths Valuation for 1859 when he is on plot 49 which is a house and 3 roods of land. (Modern Inishrush Rd, just west of Portglenone).

To find church records for the families, you need to know their denomination. The Ballentines in Innishrush in the 1901 census were Church of Ireland, so that’d be the obvious place to look for their baptisms and burials etc. Unfortunately the parish of Tamlaght O’Crilly Lower’s records before 1881 were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin (during the civil war). The records from 1881 onwards are still held by the church.

Looking at Dickie/Dickey in Co Londonderry in the 1901 census they appear to be a mix of Presbyterian, Reformed Presbyterian (aka Covenanter) and Church of Ireland, so potentially 3 denominations records to check, though obviously the early Church of Ireland ones are lost.

Some church records have been copied and are held in PRONI in Belfast. (They are not on-line). PRONI have Boveedy Presbyterian church records, which date from 1841 & Churchtown Presbyterian from 1840. The nearest Reformed Presbyterian church seems to have been Drumbolg whose records only date to 1895. Loss of early records, through neglect, fire, water damage & civil war etc is a major snag with Irish research.
    ELWYN

Hall/Swan

Default Dickey Wills on PRONI

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Re the surname Dickie, you should expect the spelling to change in Ireland. Having an exact spelling is very much a 20th century preoccupation and our ancestors in Ireland and Scotland in the 18th & 19th centuries didn’t bother at all. The spelling varied according to the whim of the person recording the information. Looking at the 1831 census for Co. Derry there are 14 Dickey households in Co. Derry. In the parish of Tamlaght O’Crilly (which includes Inishrush) there was only one - William Dickey in Killymuck townland. The only Samuel Dickey listed was in the townland of Drumlamph in the parish of Maghera. Perhaps he moved to Inishrush.

Robert Boniton (modern Ballentine) is listed for Inishrush village in the 1831 census, and also appears in Griffiths Valuation for 1859 when he is on plot 49 which is a house and 3 roods of land. (Modern Inishrush Rd, just west of Portglenone).

To find church records for the families, you need to know their denomination. The Ballentines in Innishrush in the 1901 census were Church of Ireland, so that’d be the obvious place to look for their baptisms and burials etc. Unfortunately the parish of Tamlaght O’Crilly Lower’s records before 1881 were destroyed in the 1922 fire in Dublin (during the civil war). The records from 1881 onwards are still held by the church.

Looking at Dickie/Dickey in Co Londonderry in the 1901 census they appear to be a mix of Presbyterian, Reformed Presbyterian (aka Covenanter) and Church of Ireland, so potentially 3 denominations records to check, though obviously the early Church of Ireland ones are lost.

Some church records have been copied and are held in PRONI in Belfast. (They are not on-line). PRONI have Boveedy Presbyterian church records, which date from 1841 & Churchtown Presbyterian from 1840. The nearest Reformed Presbyterian church seems to have been Drumbolg whose records only date to 1895. Loss of early records, through neglect, fire, water damage & civil war etc is a major snag with Irish research.

Don't forget to look at the Dickey/Dickie Wills on PRONI https://www.proni.gov.uk/
    Last edited by Hall/Swan; 06-12-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Default Dickey/Dickie Wills

Yes, Ireland is very difficult because of ruined records. I tried checking the Dickey/Dickie wills but found nothing of help. Samuel Dickie came to the U.S.A. and died there and I don't know of any ancestors. Thanks anyway, appreciate the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast