Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Sideroff: Would be interested in hearing what additional information you have. Pretty sure you have my email address.

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jackie View Post
    Yes, Ireland is very difficult because of ruined records. I tried checking the Dickey/Dickie wills but found nothing of help. Samuel Dickie came to the U.S.A. and died there and I don't know of any ancestors. Thanks anyway, appreciate the help.
    They may have died and not made a Will, or made one that was destroyed in fire BUT the TRANSFER of the property could very well be documented. The Registers of Wills and Deeds covers all religions and even for Church of Ireland kin go way back in time well before church records exist.

Property (including leases over 3 years!) is far better documented than people and while Wills in general don't exist, or may not for Legal reasons be available, many many of the Registers exist where the "outcome" of the contents of the Will has been documented/registered often in great detail.

These are in the Registry of Wills and Deeds in Dublin.

Also, Land Registry goes back to very very early 1700's! Follow the properties......

Hall/Swan

Default Property

The Registry of Deeds, Dublin, is open to the public. The records here are complete from 1708. These include memorials of deeds, leases of over three years, mortgages, foreclosures, marriage settlements, partitions, assignments, and memorials of wills presented at the time of estate settlements where property is involved. In many respects, these records offer the most certain way of identifying an emigrant and in general, where genealogical work has not been done for a family, offer the most rewarding results of any original research in Ireland. Land in Ireland, as in England, was largely owned in estates of several hundred or several thousand acres, and from the early days was leased to tenants on long or short term leases, many holding leases which were assigned from father to son over a period of "61 years, or three lives, whichever period was longer." Some leases were in perpetuity. The genealogical value in the leases is that each time a transfer of the property was made from one person to another by assignment, a fee was paid to the landlord and a recital was recorded, as to each person who had held the lease and his right to hold it within the term of the lease. Relationships, often for three or more generations are stated. The shorter term leases are to be found in the Estate offices of the landlords who owned the property. Many of the early estate records have been gathered in to the Public Record Offices. As marriage settlements were common in Ireland among the people of even modest means, these often yield information on the parentage of the bride or groom and the brothers and sisters whose portion may be mentioned.

Thus, if the leases or other records are wanted for the period 1708-1829, for the Dickey family, the work begins with examining all of the records under given names known in the family. The Lands (or Place) Index, under counties, provides an index to all transactions, by date and geographical location. This facilitates the tracing of the history of tenure or ownership of any given piece of property.

kgpowell

Don,
    I glossed over your post ages ago and missed the fact that your friend's grandfather was Robert Dickie who is my grandfather by his second marriage to Elizabeth Ann Gardiner from Weardale. I have some information on your friend's family which I would share and I would like to complete my tree with further information from your friend. I think my relationship to your friend is "maternal 1st cousin"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12