kcapes

Default Re- Incoming Ships

Hello everyone
    Can anyone tell me to look for out going before 1850 and incoming records from Montreal between 1854 -1861. Mary Baldock was back in Kent by 61 with her children, her husband James died 7th June 1854 in Montreal info some kind person on here found for me.
    Any help would be great.
    Kim

Mutley

Have you looked on

theshipslist.com
    olivetreegenealogy.com
    cyndislist.com

I think The National Archives state that
    Ships' passenger lists exist only for the period 1878 - 1960
    so you may not find her.

kcapes

Default Re- incoming passengers

Hello mutley
    Thank you I will try the sites you suggest.
    Kim

v.wells

kcapes. You might want to try: https://www.immigrantships.net/ . Haven't figured out my way around it but give it a shot.

kcapes

Default Re- incoming ships

Hello Vanessa
    Thanks for that.
    Kim

v.wells

kcapes - I had a look on my Ship's List CD but couldn't find anything in the time frame given. Formal records weren't kept until 1881 and it's pretty much hit and miss for anything earlier than 1851. Not all ships sailed directly to Canada from England but went via the US since the St. Lawrence Seaway freezes up in the winter preventing ship travel. I had a look on ancestry too the other night but again nothing. Did Mary and James marry in England? I couldn't seem to find anything good on any Canadian census either! Sorry I couldn't give you better news! There is the Ellis Island site and castlegardens site if they immigrated thru the US to Canada.

kcapes

Default Re- incoming ships

Hello Vanessa
    I have not found a marriage for them here, the children were born in Montreal one in 1844 and the last in 1850 James died in 1854. As I said his wife is back in England by 61, and I have James in Kent in 41 so I assume they married between 41 -44. I never thought about them going via America so I will check Ellis Island, thanks for all your help.
    Kim

v.wells

No luck on the Druin collection in Canada. If you know where James was recorded in the 1841 census in Kent then Mary is probably from that area and probably married him in that parish. I assume that you have checked the IGI on familysearch.org?

v.wells

Looked for James Baldock on th 1841 census for Kent - there are at least 4 between 14-15 yrs. bit young to get married 4 yrs later. No Mary Baldock in 1861 with 2 children in Kent unless she is married to someone else and you haven't revealed this. Do you have ref #'s for either of these census?

kcapes

Default Re Baldock

Hello Vanessa
    Mary in 1861 living in St. Mary Northgate Canterbury with her three children William 10, George 8, Charlotte 6. RG9 PIECE 519 FOLIO 104 PAGE 26
    James was 29 when he died 1854 he is living in Westwell Kent with Jemima 55 who I assume is his mum and George 20.
    Have now found the marriage James Baldock to Mary Ann Vant 1st April 1843 Westwell, the first child was born Oct 1844 in Montreal so that narrows my field.
    Thaks very much for your time
    Kim