darylr

Unhappy William Rodger - When Did He Emigrate ?

Hi,

I'm trying to find a relative of my hubby's who emigrated to Canada sometime after 1902.

He was called William Rodger b. 1875 in Pollokshaws, Glasgow to James & Janet Inglis Mason. He was a draftsman, and married Margaret Cameron in 1899. They had a daughter Elizabeth Livingston Rodger in 1900. Margaret died in 1901. I've found a ship's manifest that states he was sailing from Canada to New York in 1911, and that he was married and a canadian.

I've also found some info that says he died in 1954 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. There is also a death in Massachusetts in 1946, but don't know which is which.

How do I confirm it's him in Canada or in the States ?

Thanks,

Daryl

BeeJay

If this is the William RODGER, age 35, who arrived in New York on the Lusitania on 14 April 1911, the manifest says 'Have you ever been in Canada before - NO.'
    His occupation was draughtsman, destination Montreal.

Mary Anne

darylr

I have looked in the Montreal directories for 1912-13 (https://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal.html) and the only William Rodger there is listed as 'foreman'. He lives at 1053 Greene Avenue, Westmount.

Although your man seems to have arrived before the 1911 Canadian census was taken in June, he doesn't seem to be there. Only some other 'William Rodger' folks in Montreal and area, but they all seem to have the wrong birth year and occupation.

Mary Anne

Brick wall demolition expert!

From the Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics website, I've found this marriage. The image is free to view, after downloading a Viewpoint viewer:

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/

William Rodger, 48, consulting engineer, widower, 270 Portland Street, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, born Scotland, son of James Rodger, born Scotland & Janet Inglis Mason

married

Eva Napier Frame, 35, stenographer, spinster, 418 St. Peters Road, Sydney, born Scotland, daughter of James Frame, born Galston, Ayrshire, Scotland, & Janet Bar????

on 26 February 1924 at 418 St Peters Road, Sydney.

Witnesses etc available on the image.

Adele

Brick wall demolition expert!

This volunteer transcription of a passenger manifest list shows his daughter Elizabeth Leet & granddaughter Dorothy Leet visiting him in Dartmouth in 1927

https://ngb.chebucto.org/Passenger/nfld-july7-1927.shtml

Adele

darylr

Hi Adele,

Thank you for finding William's marriage cert, and also the ship's passenger list with his daughter & grandaughter. Now to find his death.

Then I can go on to hunt for my uncle Tom King who remains a mystery!

Regards,

Daryl