Thread: passenger List

ewan

Default passenger List

Is there such a thing does anyone know of a 'passenger list' from Isle of Man?

Ewan

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have a particular destination in mind?
    Browneyes

ewan

Sorry, I am so daft - It should read from England to the Isle of Man. I am looking for a William Henry Cox with wife possibly Alice travelling from 1891 to 1894.

Geoffers

I doubt that you'll find passenger lists for that journey

TNA's research guide on passenger lists Paragraph 2, Departures 1890-1960 includes the following:

"Board of Trade Passenger Lists, Outwards (BT 27 ), 1890-1960, contain the names people leaving the United Kingdom from ports within England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland for final destinations outside of Europe and the Mediterranean Sea"

ewan

Thanks for the link, it doesn't look very promising perhaps a call to TNA maybe necessary to see if they do have what I need. I am hitting brickwall after brickwall with this family, I thought this gentleman may have gone to live in London but it now looks like he went to the IOM!! Not being able to access any BMD from the IOM doesn't hep.

Thanks for your help.
    Ewan

Jan1954

Hello ewan,

Why not contact the Isle of Man Family History Society? They can be found if you have a bit of a google and may well be able to point you in the right direction.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    Thanks for the link, it doesn't look very promising perhaps a call to TNA maybe necessary to see if they do have what I need.
    By all means try, but I think you'll find that such journies were/are treated as being within the UK. No record was kept of journies between England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland; the Isle of Man was treated in a similar fashion.

ewan

Thanks Jan for your idea, I will give them a call, nothing to lose so to speak.

Super Moderator

Have you seen the 1901 census for the Isle of Man?

Rose Cottage, Union Mills, Bradden

William H Cox, b abt 1841 England. Electro Plater. Own Account. Working at Home

Alice Cox b abt 1861 England

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Have you seen the 1901 census for the Isle of Man?

Rose Cottage, Union Mills, Bradden

William H Cox, b abt 1841 England. Electro Plater. Own Account. Working at Home

Alice Cox b abt 1861 England
    Yes I have seen that entry, but only just literally last Friday 31. Thank you for pointing it out to me . I am desperately trying to find out more about this couple now.

There is a Maud Cox aged 21 also on the 1901 census on the IOM whom I believe to be William H Cox's daughter, but not Alice's.