r1yarno

Default Injured soldiers?

Is there a way of finding out how and where some one was injured in WW1. My great grand father lose a leg and the only thing i know is that he was in hospital recovering at Stourbridge.
    Thanx
    Andie

Knowledgeable and helpful

I'm guessing that you'll need to find some details of his military career first...where, when, who etc he served with and whether there are any records of his discharge for example.

Was Stourbrige his home town?
    Browneyes

Reputation beyond repute

Have you read this? ...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/m....ac=MHhomepage

Pension records in series WO 364 are worth searching (via Ancestry - goodness knows how complete their digitisation may be). It is also worth searching series PIN 26 (Selected First World War Pensions Award Files). Try a surname search in the catalogue specifying series PIN 26.

r1yarno

No his home town was Framsden in Suffolk. My mum had a box full of papers ect when my grandad died. There are photo's of him in his wheelchair and of him being discahred, which i have. There was also a scrap of paper giving him leave permission on it it said 2nd Bedford H Wright 27223 dated 10/09/1916.
    I also have a copy of a paper clipping of his mother and her 6 sons that all served in the forces in WW1, on it it said he was wounded "may 10th last" which working it out by the ages of the sons would have been either 1916 or 1915 i think. She also had 4 grandsons serving 2 of which had been wounded. This is where i get the Stourbridge from as it stated that he was in hospital there. Ive managed to track a couple of the brothers, one of which is buried next to Herbert here in Holbeach. Cant find out how Herbert became the local cobbler and shoe shop owner in Holbeach from Framsden in Suffolk..... yes im hooked lol.

Mutley

Is he the Herbert Wright born 1893 in Framsden that is on the 1901 census in Otley. Parents George and Mary A.?

Mutley

If you google Bedford Regiment there are several hits.
    War Diaries, Medal Winners and Battle Stories are all there.
    You may be lucky to find him mentioned.

I could not find a service or pension record for him in An****ty

r1yarno

Yes thats the right family. I'll have a look see what i can find thanx

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

A check of his medal card indicates that he enlisted on 11/12/1915. and was discharged 31/8/1917. He was awarded the Victory and British War Medals.

Martin

r1yarno

Thanx for that Martin. Sorry i haven't got back to u but have been on holiday. Managed a trip to Otley while we were away. They have a stone in the middle of the town with the names of the men lost in WW1 and i found the name of my great grandad fathers cousin, Walter Wright so he must have lost his life, this is another person to find more about.