Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postman's Park

Procat

Hi Liane,

That should be fine. Thanks for doing it.

MaryFrances

What a wonderful thing to do - to make this memorial park. If we ever get to London again, it will be on our list of "to see's".

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Liane Hawes View Post
    Hi All

Further to my earlier post, I still walk through this lovely little park every day to and from work and yes Sueann I couldn't find a complete list of all the memorials on the internet either, so I have made a point of stopping some mornings and evenings and jotting down the memorial plaques and I now have a complete listing of these in either word or PDF format.

Liane
    Hi Liane
    Sorry not to have replied to this earlier have not been here for a few weeks. How lovely of you to take the time to do that. I hope that Urban75 take you up on your offer - it has probably never occurred to them that genealogists would be very interested.

Best wishes!

Sue

Liane Hawes

Smile

Hi Sue

I have also put a listing on this site under Surname Interests. If there is a family name there that anyone recognises, I can let them know exactly what the memorial plaque states. Happy to help

Liane Hawes

Doh have already said I have put a listing on surname interests - its early on a Sunday morning - not awake yet!!! Obviously the lie-in didn't do me any good!

Sue hope you had a nice holiday - albeit with a different ending - hope everything is ok now and nice to have you back.

Coromandel

I've just been listening to 'Never mind, I stopped the train', a radio play based on the events leading to the deaths of Walter Peart and Harry Dean in 1898. At the end it mentioned a memorial in Postman's Park, which led me to this Wikipedia article about the Memorial to Heroic Self Sacrifice:

https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tablets_on_the_Memorial_to_Heroic_Self_Sac rifice

There are photographs of all the plaques there.

Coromandel

A rogue space has appeared in the link I gave in the previous post, in the word 'Sacrifice'. You'll need to delete this to get the link to work. (Thanks malcolm99 for spotting this!)

Knowledgeable and helpful

I had not read this post honestly but coincidentally we visited Postman's Park on Sunday. I had always wanted to go as it is linked to Watts Gallery and the Mortuary Chapel near me.
    George Frederick Watts so wanted to put up a memorial to people who had lost their lives saving others, unfortunately he died before it was completed and Mary, herself a famous potter, tried to continue but she ran into difficulties and money was needed for the their art gallery and Mortuary Chapel, the project at Postman's Park was abandoned.
    The park came back to life when it became part of a movie a few years ago.
    Watts Gallery and Mortuary Chapel in Compton near Guildford are well worth a visit. I have never seen a mortuary chapel like it and I believe it is still used today. It includes some of the tiles Mary Watts made. Maybe now people will tell me how common mortuary chapels are.
    ELMA

spison

I did get there! Loved the spot! Beautiful and peaceful! I had a rest, drink and sandwich there before visiting the Museum of London which is a hop, step and a jump from the park!
    Jane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12