Marlene Dale

Default HEATHCOTE John Moyer- London & Conington Hunts.

Hi
    I am interested in John Moyer Heathcote. He was born in London in 1801, graduated from Cambridge University in the 1830s and became the owner of Conington Castle where he died in 1892.
    He was a JP and held various other political and regal appointments. Some of the family were Ministers of the Cof E in Beds & Hunts.

I would like to know if he was given any overseas appointments in particular to Canada.

I am particularly interested in knowing where he was and what he was doing around the late 1850s through to circa 1867.

I understand the Heathcotes owned a house in Westbourn St near Buckingham Palace around 1861 and would love to know who was in the house at the census. Did they have any other houses in London?

Is there anyone who can give me a steer as to where to look for answers to the questions above?

Any advice /help very much appreciated.
    Marlene

mervyn.britton

Default Heathcotes

Marlene, I copied your message to a cousin who is off list and a HEATHCOTE.
    Her reply is below, and if you would like me to pass on her email address, then contact me off list at [email protected]
    <quote>

I could actually send the Heathcote enquirer some information, but she seems to be off-line anyway, and I apparently would have to join this group to contact her. I have a copy of what is known as the "Heathcote book" - this one actually belongs to me - there were only 200 printed (privately) and they are quarrelled over by the family like cats and dogs. Michael Heathcote,s brother had "their" copy but I just wandered into a genealogical bookshop when we were in England in 1965 and picked up a copy. Quite strange! I have a theory that it belonged to someone who had married a Heathcote, one of two brothers born c.1911-13, one of whom died in 1923 and the other who married in 1940. A wartime marriage, no children? Killed in the war? Many years later widow, either re-married or not, died and "someone" clearing the estate had no idea who the Heathcotesx really were, so sent it to a second-hand bookshop? This seems likely as there are pencil notes about the death and marriage. Julian says he does not want the book, he's had enough of Heathcotes, so I sometimes wonder what to do with it. Put it up for auction? I do get a few giggles out of it though, because Michael Heathcote's eldest cousin, born 1894 is one of the two last entries. She was an absolutely delightful, very intelligent, very erudite old lady but very down-to-earth and she told me that "Lady Selina" had been far from honest (fair was her word - she was very well bred!) in the compilation. Not only did she totally ignore all the "peasants" - Heathcote is a very common name and there are plenty of them! - but she also cut out anybody who did not fit in with her Victorian "standards".
    <DIV>The actual tale Eleanor told me was:<FONT face=Arial size=2> "I do think Lady Selina was very unfair to poorThomas". "I am sure you are right Eleanor, but could you enlarge?"!!!