Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sueannbowen

Default Dr Williams Library

Dear All

I have just found a couple of rellies in on-line non-conformist registers and the collection is at Dr Williams Library which has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I followed Pam's previous link on this.

What I don't know is where/if these children were baptised and what their faith was. It gives their place of abode As Stratford, Westham and the registration district as Cripplegate, London (which seems to be where Dr Williams was). So finally get to the point. I am assuming that means they were actually baptised somewhere else and just recorded by Dr Williams?

If that is so, how can I find out where? One of them does show up in the IGI but it just says West Ham - doesn't name the chapel or anything. It shows:

Mary Ann Karby born 25 November 1802 West Ham Essex (true as she was registered in 1808 along with her brother William and sister Hannah). I am really showing my ignorance here so would appreciate a steer. Mary Ann went on to marry Thomas Marshall but I haven't found that yet.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,
    If you to the National Archives site it tells you all about Dr Williams Library

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/

Look for RG4

Hope this helps,
    Emeltee

Ps I have found Mary Ann's baptism on the non conformist register, along with some of her siblings. Do you have all the dtails or would you like them?

sueannbowen

Thanks very much Em. I found Mary Ann, Hannah and William. Unfortunately it doesn't give their father's occupation and I cannot find his birth, marriage or their mother's birth yet. But thanks to Peter (Goodey) last week I think I know where I could start looking. I am going to check out the non-conformist registers for Brickfield Congregational Church in Stratford as Mary Ann gives her place of birth as Stratford throughout the censuses.

thanks for your kind offer

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Can you please tell us exactly what information is provided.

Reputation beyond repute

I'd assume from what you've said that it was indeed the Brickfields Independent Chapel.

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Can you please tell us exactly what information is provided.
    Peter the actual image says:

Names of Children
    Mary Ann Karby
    Stratford
    Par. Westham
    County of Essex
    Regd. Oct.12th 1808

Names of Parents
    William Karby and Hannah, Daughter of Thomas & Mary Burford.

Witnesses
    Wm Maiden, Surgeon
    Elizabeth Tippin

Time When Born
    25th Nov. 1802

Underneath that entry is the one for her brother William and sister Hannah - they were registered on the same day.

RG4/4661

On the transcript is gives the source of the information as Dr Williams' Library.

Sue

Wilkes_ml

I have the same problem! three children's births registered at Dr. Williams' Library in Cripplegate London. I have copies of two entries:

George Phillpott the son of George Phillpott of Margate in Thanet, Kent and Ann his wife, daughter of Stephen Withenden
    Born in margate in the parish of St. John the Baptist in the County of Kent
    1st July 1774
    At whose birth we were present: George Slater Surgeon, Mary Slater, Ann Purkis and Roger ???
    Registered at Dr. Williams,s Library 23 March 1792

Mary Phillpott born 12th October 1766, Broadstairs St. Peters, Kent
    Registered 15th April 1793
    Father George Phillpott
    Mother Ann Phillpott daughter of Stephen Witherden.

Witnessed by George Slater, Surgeon & Elizabeth Terry x her mark

The problem is, I know they were not baptised at the parish churches.

I am also certain that George and Ann (nee Witherden ) had at least 2 other children, whose births weren't registered at Dr. Williams Library, nor were they baptised at the parish churches.

Stephen was buried at St. John the baptist in 1779 age 2, and Richard buried at St. John the Baptist in 1779 age 1. both listed as children of George and Ann.

I believe my ancestor Richard Phillpott was born about 1779, and George and Ann seem to be the most likely parents - and the fact that I can't find his baptism seems to point towards a non-conformist family.

So why would a family travel all the way to Cripplegate London to register the births of just 3 of their children?

And it is so frustrating that only the wife's father is named!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,
    The non conformists were not bapstising their children at Doctor Williams Library, they were simply registering the birth.
    The following is taken from the page showing the registration of Elizabeth Philpott born Margate 10 May 1781 to George Philpott and Ann (Shilerden) The birth was registered 23 Mar 1792. It is courtesy of The Genealogist.

Protestant Dissenters' Registry. The increased requirement to provide evidence of birth led the Dissenting Deputies (representing Baptists, Congregationalists & Presbyterians) to establish a births register of their children in 1743 at the Dissenters Library. Originally for parents living within 12 miles of London it subsequently became open to anyone, regardless of distance or denomination, provided a fee was paid. Contains almost 50,000 births. Registered at Rev. Daniel Williams Library, Redcross Street, Cripplegate, London Start date April 6th 1743 End date Dec 30th 1837

Emeltee
    Last edited by emeltee; 28-07-2009 at 5:49 PM. Reason: Omitted birth date

Wilkes_ml

registration of Elizabeth Philpott born Margate 10 May 1781 to George Philpott and Ann (Shilerden)
    Thanks Emeltee- I am guessing this is one, but Witherden has been mistranscrbed.

hughar

The National Archives has a new podcast about The Dr. Williams's Library and the Protestant Dissenters Register. You can access it (and their other podcasts) from https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/rss/podcasts.xml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast