Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Non-conformist query.

I have a few ancestors who I just cannot find trace of on records. I was reading a book on genealogy a while ago and it indicated that Non-conformists/quakers had separate records.
    Is this accurate or have I mis-interpreted it? If so how do I go about checking the records to see if my ancestors appreared on them?

Many thanks

Alison

Geoffers

Many Non-conformist records were deposited with the Registrar General in the 19th century.

Those records are now at The National Archives and all of these have been digitally scanned and made available online via BMDRegisters (free search pay-per-view) or TheGenealogist (if you have a subscription)

Thanks Geoffers. I'll have a look. Am I to assume that it's harder checking records like this once we get into the 20th century?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by A Lee
    Am I to assume that it's harder checking records like this once we get into the 20th century?
    Yes, although obviously civil registration is helpful for more recent history since 1837.

Reputation beyond repute

Best advice is to stick to civil registration post-1837. Protestant non-conformists were generally enthusiastic supporters of civil registration so there shouldn't be too many problems.

Ok thanks for the advice. It doesn't alter the fact that I appear to have exhausted all normal means of registration and unless there is some completely unpredictable mistranscription (in which case the words 'needle' and 'haystack' spring to mind!) there are several people I just cannot find on records - especially deaths. I am assuming that people who were born the end of the nineteeth century are going to be dead by now!!!

I will keep looking. Thanks

pattenwalsh

Got any names,rough dates,areas.I'll give it a go as I have subscriptions on the genealogist and bmd registers and have the NBI index on disc

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by A Lee
    Ok thanks for the advice. It doesn't alter the fact that I appear to have exhausted all normal means of registration and unless there is some completely unpredictable mistranscription
    Have you posted a thread with details of who you cannot find?

In looking for deaths, try the Probate Calendar - it is often easier to pick out the entry that you want.

Could any of the people you are looking for have emigrated?

Any military/overseas deaths - try the relevant indexes, CWGC, etc

Oh yes this has been an on-going mystery for several years. I thought you needed to know the date of death for probate records - it'll cost me a fortune otherwise.. The records that are available online for emigration and CWGC have been checked previously with no luck - I am not sure if there is anywhere people could emigration with out being on the lists that are digitised.

The main person in question is William Hammant b.1892 in Fulham I have checked the entire BMD index - through find my past - for Hammant and none correlate.........Once I get into the most common alternative - 'Hammond' - there are too many possiblilties for me to narrow it down and avoid costing a fortune.

The other person is someone I am researching who had the same name and I just wondered if he could be connected. He was born Arthur Hammant in 1872 in Crayford...by the end of the 1800's the entire family have changed their surname in all records to 'Hammond'. He married Babara Dewar Mitchell in 1899 (under the name of Hammond)...they appear on 1911 census with a son called Arthur in Wandsworth.......Barbara has remarried in 1925 under the condition 'widow', but I cannot find a death for an Arthur by this time. I have checked the entire index incase that wasn't accurate and he lived beyond 1925 but I have already purchase 4 wrong certs.

RobinC

I've found this on the IGI if it helps.

1. Arthur George HAMMOND - Ancestral File
    Gender: M Death/Burial: 14 Dec 1922 Mutford, Lowestoft, Suffolk, Eng

There are also these results:

2. Arthur George Hammond - International Genealogical Index / BI

3. ARTHUR GEORGE HAMMOND - International Genealogical Index / BI

1 & 3 appear to be the same person, going by the date of death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast