Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    greann

Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    Thanks for all the above Ann.

It's interesting that Beatrice Besley was single with two children (Belsey surnames) in 1901 and then was Beatrice Becker, widow with the two children now Beckers in 1911. A story to be investigated. Sounds as if the children's father might have been a Franz Becker. Now to find Beatrice and children's arrival in Canada.

Isambard
    Hi Isambard,
    On Elsie's marriage record it states father's name as Frence Becker. I had a look into the immigration records and came up with nothing
    Ann

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    Don't know if this is of any use to you?

GROOM'S LAST NAME: BELSEY
    GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: WILLIAM CHARLES JOHN
    BRIDE'S LAST NAME: BUSH
    BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: MARGARET GERTRUDE
    DATE OF MARRIAGE: 20/11/1909
    PLACE OF MARRIAGE: WPG
    REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1909,002794
    REGISTRATION DATE:

I found it on on https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/
    Now that is interesting but confusing. How many William Charles John Beslsey's could there have been in England and Canada at the time? I assume only one, but you never should assume anything in these searches!

In 1903 WCJ Belsey married Margaret McGill in 1903 in Wandsworth. They emigrated to Canada almost immediately. Their son, Oliver Thomas was born in Carleton Ottawa 20 March 1906. Margaret died in Carleton Ottawa 24 December 1906.

On 20 July 1911, WCJ Belsey married Alice Maud Weatherley in Carleton Ottawa. They arrived in Bristol, England 26 October 1911, together with Oliver.

What happened to Margaret Gertrude Bush, who WCJ Belsey married 20 November 1909 in Winnipeg, assuming it's the same WCJB?

Isambard

---------------------

What happened to Margaret Gertrude Bush, who WCJ Belsey married 20 November 1909 in Winnipeg, assuming it's the same WCJB?
    In the 1911 Census, William and Oliver are listed as lodgers in Ottawa, Dalhousie Ward, no Margaret.

terrysfamily

In the 1911 Census, William and Oliver are listed as lodgers in Ottawa, Dalhousie Ward, no Margaret.
    There is this but sadly no first name

LAST NAME: BELSEY
    GIVEN NAMES: UNNAMED
    DATE OF DEATH: 21/06/1910
    UNITS OF AGE: YEARS
    SEX: FEMALE
    PLACE OF DEATH: WPG
    REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1910,006157
    REGISTRATION DATE:

v.wells

Isambard, you could order the death cert online at https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/. It may give more information.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily View Post
    There is this but sadly no first name

LAST NAME: BELSEY
    GIVEN NAMES: UNNAMED
    DATE OF DEATH: 21/06/1910
    UNITS OF AGE: YEARS
    SEX: FEMALE
    PLACE OF DEATH: WPG
    REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1910,006157
    REGISTRATION DATE:
    Thanks for the above, - perhaps as Vanessa suggests the death certificate may have more info that would confirm that this was Margaret Gertrude Bush.

v.wells

Isambard
    Email: [email protected] and quote the above details. Ask WHY it is blank when the person's surname is known. Explain you don't want to order a certificate if it is blank.

Perhaps it is a transcription error - there has to be a reason there is no other information, I mean if the registrar knew the surname, sex and age, surely there would be other information?

There are also phone numbers on the bottom of the page, if they fail to respond.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Isambard
    Email: [email protected] and quote the above details. Ask WHY it is blank when the person's surname is known. Explain you don't want to order a certificate if it is blank.

Perhaps it is a transcription error - there has to be a reason there is no other information, I mean if the registrar knew the surname, sex and age, surely there would be other information?

There are also phone numbers on the bottom of the page, if they fail to respond.
    That was a good idea Vanessa, but as I was poised to do so another helpful soul on another site provided the following information:

"From the Manitoba Free Press, Thursday, June 23, 1910

The death occurred Tuesday of Gertrude
    Belsey, wife of William Belsey, 360 Beverley
    Street. The funeral will be held at
    2:30 this afternoon to St. Margaret's
    church and Interment- will be made at
    St. Jamess cemetery."

Gertrude died only seven months after she and William were married- perhaps a flu epidemic? The death certificate would probably say, but my treasury is depleted.

Isambard

That was a good idea Vanessa, but as I was poised to do so another helpful soul on another site provided the following information:

"From the Manitoba Free Press, Thursday, June 23, 1910

The death occurred Tuesday of Gertrude
    Belsey, wife of William Belsey, 360 Beverley
    Street. The funeral will be held at
    2:30 this afternoon to St. Margaret's
    church and Interment- will be made at
    St. Jamess cemetery."

Gertrude died only seven months after she and William were married- perhaps a flu epidemic? The death certificate would probably say, but my treasury is depleted.
    As a further thought, given that Margaret Gertrude was abt 35 when she married William and was abt 36 at time of death, there is a possibilty that she might have been previously married and that at time of marrying William, Bush was her married name. So far have not found her in the 1901 and the 1906 (Manitoba) censuses.

v.wells

Quite a few travellers contracted TB on their trans-atlantic crossings plus the confined quarters of trains so I would think it TB as the cause of death, but it could just as easily been from a premature birth/delivery, where given Margarets age, caused hemorrage or fever. I had a male rellie that went from England to Winnipeg. He sent for his bride to be, they married and moved on to Calgary. They spent 2 yrs there, then they returned home to UK as he'd been diagnosed with TB. He died about a yr later.

I still think it is worth an email to vitalstats.mb to point out this error of lack of information.

I am glad someone found the obit for you, saved you some money and now you know the facts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast