darylr

Red face John Storrie Gillespie - Where Did He Live ?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help with this mystery. I'm trying to find my grandfather's brother, called John Storrie Gillespie who I think emigrated to the USA sometime in the 1920's. I've found someone with the right name who lived in Wayne, Michigan, Detroit in 1928 (and applied for naturalisation in Jan 28') he also went to Quebec / Montreal in August 1928, arriving on the S.S. Athenia on the 2 Sept. On the passenger list he's a 'Tool Maker', single, and from Scotland. He was born on 13 Apr 1899 in Paisley, Glasgow. His parents were James Gillespie & Janet Storrie.

I've tried to find him on Ancestry to try and confirm if it's him, but without luck. Where do I look to find any records relating to him ?, i.e. marriage, births, deaths etc.

Thanks,

Daryl

louisa maud

John S Gillespie

Machinist
    left Glasgow bound for Quebec and Montreal
    on 16/07/1920
    aged 21
    ship Sicilian

also
    John Gillespie
    Toolmaker
    left on Athenia 24/08/1928
    aged 29
    address 34 Tanhill Road
    Paisley
    "country of intended future permanant residence USA"

Louisa Maud

gasser

I can confirm from record pilot search that the Detroit Gillespie is as follows
    John Gillespie, age 25 born Scotland married Wilhelmina Gallacher age 22 born Scotland, married 10 Jun 1925 Marriage place Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. Grooms parents were John Gillespie /Isabella Derine. So this does not look like your man.
    I'll keep looking.

darylr

Question

Hi Louisa,

Thanks for finding those details.

Why can't I find out what happened to him ? I've tried finding his death in the social security index on familysearch.com, but haven't found anything. How do I look for a possible marriage ?

I'm stumped!

Thanks again,

Daryl

Geoffers

When his parents died, did they leave wills, mentioning their son (and possibly grandchildren) in America?

Brick wall demolition expert!

On the 1930 US census, I found a 31 year old John S Gillespie living as a Roomer at 2702 Whitney Avenue in Detroit, Michigan, He declares immigrating in 1920 and his occupation is insurance collector. He also declares that he is a veteran of "WW".

More importantly, I have found a 31 year old John Gillespie on the UK Incoming Passenger lists on board the California, arriving 5 May 1931 in Glasgow, Scotland from New York. He is a toolmaker and his destination address is 36 West Stewart Street, Greenock. His country of intended permanent residence is Scotland.

Perhaps he was unable to secure work as a toolmaker in the US, so returned permanently? to Scotland.

Adele

darylr

Unhappy

Hi,

I have checked any wills that his parents may have left, (they only go up to 1901). Also looked at marriages & deaths on Scotland's People, again without finding anything.

I'm stumped Any ideas ?

Regards,

Daryl

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by darylr
    I have checked any wills that his parents may have left, (they only go up to 1901).
    As per advice on the Probate Service web-site, have you tried the Sheriff's Court?