melainedelta

Question Possible marriage for Luke Higgins about 1865

If a marriage does not appear on the bmd list where else could I look for it please?
    In the 1911 census Luke and his wife Ann appear as married for 47 years, both from Hoddesdon, Herts. Luke born 1843 and Ann 1846. Their first child was born in 1865 (although I think he may have been Ann's child) and their second, Sarah Ann, in Dec qtr 1867 Poplar (on 1871 census as Bromley), as were their subsequent children.
    The only marriage I could find was between Luke Higgins and Anne Amelia Goodfellow 29 Apr 1866 St Anne Soho, Westminster. Her birth was registered Sep qtr 1846 Pancras (not Hoddesdon).
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

MarkJ

What about -

Luke Higgins marriage June quarter, 1864, Westminster district 1a 657
    That has an Ann Cooney listed as a possible wife.

Mark

Edit: I can't find a suitable Herts birth for that Ann though - but of course the place of birth given on a census may or may not be accurate

Reputation beyond repute

Whoa!! Slow down there!!!

One of their children was presumably your ancestor. You really should have that birth certificate, you might also need others if they didn't all have the same parentage.

Once you have a birth certificate, you'll know the mother's maiden name and will be in a position to search for the marriage.

melainedelta

Sorry, wife's surname was Barrett.

petercornish

Default Luke Higgins.

The Hoddesdon Parish Register records the baptism of Luke John HIGGINS s/o Robert & Mary on 06Aug1843 and Ann BARRETT d/o James & Elizabeth, born 20Nov1846 bap 27Dec1846. There is no trace of Ann COONEY at that time.

A marriage for Mary Ann BARRETT is recorded in the September quarter 1865 Vol.1c P.1355 Poplar District, which is the District for Canning Town, the birthplace of son James. Regretably no details of a spouse are shown on page 1355 neither is Luke Higgins included in the appropriate index for that quarter.

Might be worth making an application for a certificate using the reference checking service.

Regards ... Peter

Reputation beyond repute

I think the page number is 1255 and that the players are BARRETT, BAKER, BROWN and MATTHEWS

melainedelta

Hello both Peters
    Thank you for trying to help me. I am reluctant to order a marriage certificate as I have already spent a fortune trying to get the marriage certificate for Ann's brother (my great grandfather). Unfortunately, I gave them too much information and when I finally did receive the certificate I found that she had lied about her age, and he had lied about his job (or it was not recorded correctly) and his father had the wrong name and the wrong occupation. Although they married in Islington neither of them came from there but they gave Islington addresses. However, they did use their correct full names and one of the witnesses was her aunt.
    Incidentally, Ann's eldest sister was called Mary Ann and she had married in 1854.
    In the 1871 census their son James Charles Henry gives his place of birth as Plaistow and I couldn't a birth registered for a JCH Higgins but did find one for JCH Barrett March qtr Ware (which covered Hoddesdon).
    I will definitely keep the reference you have given me in mind if I do decide to take the plunge and order a cert.
    Thanks again
    Elaine