kenripper

Question Conventionary & Customary Tenants - 18th century

I have been trying to understand the difference between customary and coventionary tenants and have got this far. Can anybody help by confirming this or putting me right?

I am aware the law changed in the 19th century and that copyholders (otherwise known as customary tenants) became freeholders.

How I think I understand it ...
    * A customary tenant can lease the property he has rented to others. He can leave the property or transfer ownership to anybody he chooses. He may be obliged to undertake duties on the manor such as reeve or viewer of repairs. His ownership is restricted by the terms of the lease which may include reversion of mineral rights to the lord of the manor for a prescribed fee. Does the tenant pay an annual rent? Are there three lives on these leases?
    * A conventionary tenant holds the property for the lives stated on the lease and will pay ground rent. At the end of the lives the property reverts to the lessor. Changes in tenancy require the sanction of the lessor.

Am I close? Can anybody help my understanding, please?

geoffpowers

Smile Conventionary & customary tenants -18th Century

Ken

Can't help on the technical question you pose, but you might get more (knowlegeable) people (i.e. senior members/moderators) viewing your message if you re-post in one of the general sub-forums (I suggest 'General Chatter').

Alternatively you could send a private message to a moderator, (Rod Neep, geoffers, Guy Echells) directly through the 'private messages' facility within the forum. ('geoffers' is very good on the historical bits - just use that nickname to contact him.)

Hope this helps!

Regards

Geoff Powers

Reputation beyond repute

"Am I close? Can anybody help my understanding, please?"

That's about right as I understand it. A copyholder's "rent" was in effect a commutation of the old duties of service. Copyhold wasn't formally abolished until 1926 although it had effectively been killed by the enclosures. The conversion to freehold was therefore pretty meaningless. "Three lives" was just a form of lease (conventionary). "Three lives" by the way seems to have been most common in the West Country but I guess you know that! My ancestors in Berkshire (not exactly West Country) suffered under that system.