FerrieFinder

Smile How can I find out if someone is still alive?

Hi
    I am trying to find out whether my great grandfather is still alive, which is highly unlikely!
    But I don't know when he died or if so where, I have done lots of records searches but have come up with nothing.
    My Grandfather stopped talking to his dad when he was about ten, so I literally have no clue where he might of ended up. The only thing I know was that he was visiting a family member in Northern Ireland in the 1970's, and he wasn't very well apparently!
    His name was Edward Francis Ferrie born in Dundee on 28 March 1906.
    If anyone could help me I would be grateful.
    Thanks
    Carrie-Anne

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you go to Find My Past you can browse the death records from 1970 to 1985. It just takes a lot of time. Once you have selected the first period you click on F and then it stays there.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 16-07-2009 at 7:34 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

pandac

Have you tried Scotlands bmd register? You have to pay but 5 Edward Ferrie deaths are recorded.

FerrieFinder

Yeah I have but the thing is I can't be sure that was him, because he was a travelling musician so he could of been anywhere when he died

Geoffers

You might try searching the Probate Calendar to see if he left a will, or if Letters of Administration (Admon) were granted when he died. The calendar is easy to use and available at most County Record Offices (phone first to check their coverage and if you have to reserve a film reader).

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Carrie-Anne

If its the right one, your Edward Ferrie was born Illigitimate. His fathers name Henry Ferrie is on the birth certificate. I am assuming that the parents didn’t marry later ? so, could he have decided to use his mothers maiden name in later life if as you say he stopped talking to his father from the age of 10 for what ever reason and a possible cause could have been - there is a Henry Ferrie who married in Dundee in 1919 could this be his father and did he have more children? Maybe worth looking for Henry’s death to see who signed it.

Where does the middle name Francis come from that you have put here is there some clue there ? have you looked to see if his mother had more children so that maybe you could look for them for an outcome ? Not forgetting to look for Edwards mother death to see who signed that. Couldnt make out her sir name, was it Heron ?

You get a lot for your money on Scottish ceritifcates

Just more questions but sometimes you have to go on diversion to get to where you want to go !

Good luck
    Chasing Caseys

FerrieFinder

Smile

Hi
    Thanks Chasing Caseys, that was all extremely useful ! Yeah I found that out on scottish records, it is amazing just how much more information they give you.
    I don't know whatever happened to Jane Heron, so you are right it would be worth me finding her and Henry's death certificates, I might order them when I go to Edinburgh next month.
    My grandfather Gerald Ferrie, didn't talk to his dad Edward Ferrie, sorry if I wasn't very clear with that.
    Edward's middle name, comes from Henry's father, and Edward'd first name comes from Henry's brother who died young fighting for his country.
    I think Edward must of died in Northern Ireland, someone saw him there not very well in the 1970s so perhaps, thats where he ended up, is there anyway to search listing of cementaries in Northern Ireland or search their death records online without ordering them?
    Thanks everyone with your help!