Jane Elderfield

Default Greenwich or Lewisham Workhouse records 1870s

I'm seeking information on the family of John & Sarah RODWAY of Deptford, Kent, in the 1870's.

John & Sarah had two girls Sarah Anne ("Sallie"), b. 1868, and Alice Jane, b. 1875. John died in Deptford Hospital of smallpox in May 1878. Fourteen months later, in Lewisham, his widow Sarah gave birth to a son, Charles Ernest.

At 1881 census, girls are in care in South Metropolitan School, and mum is back in Deptford with little Charlie, working as a machinist.

An experienced contributor to this forum has suggested that widow Sarah RODWAY and girls may have entered Greenwich or Lewisham Workhouse, and then girls were sent to the S M School.

Can anyone shed any light? Not easy to find workhouse records from where I am in Canada....

--Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    widow Sarah RODWAY and girls may have entered Greenwich or Lewisham Workhouse, and then girls were sent to the S M School.

Can anyone shed any light? Not easy to find workhouse records from where I am in Canada....
    Regarding the records for the school and for both workhouses, I think this was answered on your previous thread, see post #8:

If the family was chargeable to Lewisham or Greenwich, any relevant documents will be at the London Metropolitan Archives, which offers a research service. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of extant material for either of those two unions, but you may nevertheless feel it is worth pursuing.
    There was a lot of wordage in that particular post, and perhaps it was unclear. You're very welcome to PM me if it still isn't clear

Kerrywood

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think Lewisham used the South Metropolitan District School so the relevant union is probably Greenwich.

This part of the catalogue is online so Jane can see for herself what's available. Suggested search terms "Greenwich Board" and "South Metropolitan".

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/londonGenerations/

Jane Elderfield

Appreciations to both Kerrywood and Peter Goodey for helpful advice, and especially name of website. --Jane

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Elderfield View Post
    I'm seeking information on the family of John & Sarah RODWAY of Deptford, Kent, in the 1870's.

John & Sarah had two girls Sarah Anne ("Sallie"), b. 1868, and Alice Jane, b. 1875. John died in Deptford Hospital of smallpox in May 1878. Fourteen months later, in Lewisham, his widow Sarah gave birth to a son, Charles Ernest.

At 1881 census, girls are in care in South Metropolitan School, and mum is back in Deptford with little Charlie, working as a machinist.....
    Have found that this couple also had Mary Ann, born April 1872 and died November 1872, and Florry Lily, b. Nov. 1877. After her husband's death, Sarah was ill in hospital, the family was destitute, and the three girls were put into the workhouse. Sallie and Alice were immediately transferred to the South Met School. Florry went to live with her mother's parents near Edinburgh, and stayed with them until they died while she was a teenager. She later returned to Deptford, and married there.

Mystery solved.
    --Jane