Chrissie68

Default Does anyone know how to change the filename?

Hello everyone,

I'm a new transcriber. I started doing 50 records and then noticed I'd picked the wrong county. So the file name contains the chapman code LEI and should have RUT. Is there any way to change this? I've read through the FAQ's on FreeReg and apparently if I hit F6 when the filename box opens, I can change it... but nothing happens!

I'm not too worried, as it's a small file and will take me about 20 minutes to re-do if I need to, but I thought it'd be useful to know for the future in case I am that stupid again!

Thanks

Hi Chrissie68 and welcome to the forum.
    Have you contacted the coordinator about this? Just wondered as the file you uploaded will need to be deleted I assumed.

Chrissie68

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't uploaded it yet. It was when checking it before uploading that I spotted the error. Not to worry, I've redone it now anyway as I couldn't find the solution.

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie68 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I haven't uploaded it yet. It was when checking it before uploading that I spotted the error. Not to worry, I've redone it now anyway as I couldn't find the solution.
    Chrissie F6 only works when you are creating the file for the first time. It allows you to override the file naming proceedure. It does not allow you to change the County code.

There is no way of changing it within WinREG; its about the only thing that cannot be changed.

You would have had to have done it using Notepad. But sicnce you have rentered there is no longer a problem.

Kirk

Mike Fry

Chrissie,

Kirk is not entirely correct in his assertion that you can only change the file name when creating the file for the first time. An existing file can be renamed if you frst open the file in WinREG, then press Alt-R. Also, pressing Alt-D will allow you to edit some of the header details - Place/Parish, Church, Source and Comments. As has been said, the only 'bit' that can't be changed from within WinREG, is the County. But this can be done easily by using Notepad.

Mike Fry
    WinREG author and Developer.

rhiannon

Hi there,

This is a connected problem...

I didn't know I wasn't meant to change file names and changed one from ...1 to ....6, cos I have 1-5 uploaded already.
    It changed it and let me in to the document but now I can't close it.
    I get I/O error 32 and notice it deleted the last load of entries I made.
    I turned the laptop off but when I turn it back on, the winpeg doc automatically re-opens and still won't close.

Rhiannon

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannon View Post
    Hi there,

This is a connected problem...

I didn't know I wasn't meant to change file names and changed one from ...1 to ....6, cos I have 1-5 uploaded already.
    It changed it and let me in to the document but now I can't close it.
    I get I/O error 32 and notice it deleted the last load of entries I made.
    I turned the laptop off but when I turn it back on, the winpeg doc automatically re-opens and still won't close.

Rhiannon
    Of course you can change filenames! It's necessary sometimes. How you go about changing the file name is the problem.

Every file has two names: the external, Windows name and the internal FreeREG name. Simply using Explorer to rename the file will only change the external name, not the internal one. FreeREG insists on the two names matching.

The procedure for changing the filename varies according to the version of WinREG that is being used. WinREG/1 comes from before my time and I disavow any knowledge of it. Somebody else, Kirk perhaps, can tell you how, but it involves using Windows Explorer and Notepad. From your 'I/O Error 32' problem, I think you're using the ancient WinREG/1.

WinREG/2 is my concern and the program will allow you to rename a file. There are two, different renaming functions in the program. The first (Alt-R) lets you change the 3 characters corresponding to the place name in both the internal and external names.

The second method of changing file names is via the File Details (Alt-D). This lets you change the place and church names, and the source and comments fields. Changing the place and/or church names affects every record in the file as well as the internal and external file names.

Here's another, important note for all transcribers who use WinREG/2: keep all of your files in the Transcripts folder. If you don't, then WinREG/2 will not be able to assign the proper, numeric suffix to the name of the file when there is a clash of names. And, you will inevitably wind up with two files with the same same name. Uploading the second one will most likely overwrite the first one that you uploaded to FreeREG and the records contained therein will be lost when the next database build is done.

Regards,
    Mike Fry