Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bitkin

Default Herefordshire graveyards -

If anyone would like a search on a particular Herefordshire graveyard, then I would be pleased to oblige when time permits.

I have already been to most churches in this county, and have to warn you that many of the stones are too weathered to read, but then again I have also had some surprising and rewarding results.

Please feel free to pm me.

Sally

Procat

A very generous offer Sally. Thank you for making it.

Just another example of what Brit-Gen is about.

A fountain of knowledge

I am a new member ,just joined today...I have been researching 7 years and I have a massive Merrick family from 1650 to 1828 in Herefordshire, all around and mostly born in Norton Canon....is this church ( St Nicholas) within your area....I have rellies buried at
    Norton Canon
    Letton
    Ocle Pychard
    Bridge Sollars
    Dilwyn
    Staunton on Wye
    Eardisley
    Llandinabo

one Merrick that I cannot find is Ann Merrick.(my 3 x g grandmother)...born Ann Taylor 1822 in Dilwyn...she married Edward Merrick b 1828 Norton Canon....they married in Dilwyn (IGI)...they had 3 children Anna Merrick b 1850 /MARIANNE MERRICK b 1852...(my gg grandmother who married Daniel Oakes in 1874 in Garston ,Liverpool) and William Taylor Merrick b 1855.......

they went to live in Ocle Pychard and in 1861 census are in Hillhampton House with over 100 acres and 3 servants...by 1871 census Ann Merrick has passed away....so she died 1861-1871....so aged 39-49 on a headstone...I can only presume she is in
    Ocle Pychard
    Dilwyn ..(there`s a slight chance of Norton Canon as this is where most Merricks were based)..............any help from anyone in the above villages or any info you can find Sally will be GREATLY appreciated....please don`t go out of your way,but if you are passing it would be a big bonus.....cheers ...allan Oakes,Garston,Liverpool

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
    I have a massive Merrick family from 1650 to 1828 in Herefordshire, all around and mostly born in Norton Canon.
    Did you know that

(a) The MIs have been published by Herefordshire FHS - "NORTON CANON (St. Nicholas) : MIs in the church 1695-1932 & the churchyard 1653-1997 : Herefordshire monumental inscriptions, vol. 23"

(b) Herefordshire FHS have an online name index of their published MIs. The MERRICK name features prominently. To find the site, Google for "Herefordshire FHS".

A fountain of knowledge

thanks Peter.....I`ll have a look now....cheers,,allan
    Just googled and went onto Herefordshire fhs through rootsweb...plenty of Merrick researchers but none in any of my villages....when I went to parishes and then Norton Canon....clicked on it but nothing happened...could you please advise me what I am doing wrong....cheers...allan

Jan1954

The Herefordshire FHS also have a stand at Parish Chest. Have a look to see what they have that may help.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by garstonite View Post
    could you please advise me what I am doing
    The Index Page includes "MONUMENTAL INSCRIPTIONS INDEX". Seventh item on the page

A fountain of knowledge

thank you both....allan

A fountain of knowledge

thankyou very much...just found 7 in Norton Canon / 2 in Clodock / and 1 in Llandinabo.....{forgot to put Clodock in the village list)....I`m especially happy finding John Merrick 1690 Llandinabo....he was my 8 x g grandfather....the only little problem is he also had a son John b 1686 in Llandinabo....so which one is the MI for ?...Ref No is LDB / 003...........Is there a way of finding the age of this John ?....allan

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think the index is meant to stand on its own (that's the nature of indexes). It must be there to help sell their MI publications which, as Jan has pointed out, may be available through Parish Chest.

MIs also need to be interpreted in conjunction with the burial register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast