Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    audrey broome

Cool aloha from Arizona

Grandpa Broome was a big character from Swindon, Eng., grandma a petite seemstress from Plumbstead. After the death of their little girl in Fla., he left and she never spoke of him. I guess it's the lack of info. that makes me so curious. I have a death certificate w/almost no info. to trace. and has his name as Wm. Aubrey Broome but a marriage lic. that he signed Wm. Aubrey
    Newton-Broome. It's a mystery to me & I'm not sure where to start...

Hugh Thompson

Hello Audrey and welcome to Brit Gen, it might be worthwile putting your query on the brickwalls forum with as much info as you have, eg, the marriage cert and such, is there a location? and dates so that we have an idea as to where and in what time frame to look.
    Hugh.

Wirral

Hi Audrey

Looks like the name became hyphenated later on. You can find the birth reference on www.freebmd.org.uk

William Aubrey N. BROOME born September quarter 1890 Highworth registration district, volume 5a, page 28.

You can use this reference to get a copy of the full birth certificate from the General Register Office www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates Certificates cost £7 each.

audrey broome

Hello Hugh,
    Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
    I'm afraid I'm not off to a very good start, I've already posted miss information.
    After reviewing my file I find that I do not have a marriage lic., but a birth cert. for my aunt, b.3-12-1919 Audrey Ethel Newton-Broome (who died in St. Petersburg, Fla.usa.) 12-13-1925. I am named for her. I also have her death cert. I have my father's birth cert. b. 7-3-1921 Norman Lionel Broome two yrs. later. Both born in Schenectady,N.Y.(the Newton does not appear on my father's birth cert. nor on my grandfather's death cert.) My grandmother Ethel May Hearn Jordan, first husband killed in WWI, had two brothers in Schenectady, I believe that is where they were probably married and set up housekeeping.(1918?) Here's the rub, Wm.A.(Newton)Broome never became a citizen.
    Grandmother Ethel was naturalized in 1947, but no S.S. no. for Wm.
    This must be terribly confusing and I'm sure this is much more info that you asked for,but
    if it helps you to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it so much.
    Regards, Audrey

Thomasin

Ethel May Hearn was born December quarter 1885, Woolwich district, 1d 1260.

Thomasin

Thomasin

Here's Ethel's family in 1901:

James A Hearn 48 Steel Moulder b. London
    Annie Hearn 46 b. Plumstead
    Grace A Hearn 20 Dressmaker b. Plumstead
    Ethel M Hearn 14 b. Plumstead

The address is 164 Lakedale Road, Plumstead.
    Ref: RG13; 574; 114; 12.

Thomasin

Thomasin

In 1881, this is Ethel's family:

James A Hearn 28 Labourer Arsenal b. Lambeth, Surrey (huh, changed his story)
    Anna Hearn 26
    Herbert H Hearn 6
    Sidney G Hearn 4
    Alice Hearn 2
    Grace 0 - all born in Plumstead.

Address: 12 Oliver Street, Plumstead
    Ref: RG11; 752; 93; 31.

Thomasin

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by audrey broome View Post
    My grandmother Ethel May Hearn Jordan, first husband killed in WWI, had two brothers in Schenectady, I believe that is where they were probably married and set up housekeeping.(1918?) Here's the rub, Wm.A.(Newton)Broome never became a citizen.
    They were likely married before this. From his WW1 Draft Papers:

William Aubry Newton Broome, 783 Loraine Av. Detroit, Michigan, born July 12, 1890, Alien, born Swindon, Wiltshire, England, Machinist at Detroit Screw Wks, has a wife, married, Caucasian, was a Sapper in Royal Engs. England for 3yrs 10 mo. Tall, medium build, Hazel eyes, Dark brown hair, not bald, not disabled.
    Signed at Ward 10 Detroit, Michigan, 6/5/17.

Wirral

William arrived in the US on 12th Dec 1914 at Detroit Border Crossing (from Canada):

BROOM William A.N., born Swindon Wiltshire, 25, male, single, mech. engineer, can read, born England, England [citizen], last living in Toronto, Ontario, father Willia [sic] BROOM, 122 Ferndale Road, Swindon, going to Detroit Michigan (no address), has $60.
    5 foot 11 inches tall, ruddy complexion, brown hair, blue eyes.
    He arrived in Quebec on 14th July 1912 on the SS Laurentic; he was the only BROOME on the ship; his religion was Church of England.

1901 census RG1905 folio 172 page 23, 3 Broad Street, Swindon, Wiltshire
    William BROOME, head, Mar, 35, Foreman painter, Oxon [Oxfordshire] Bicester
    Edith I. ", wife, Mar, 26, Devon, Northam
    William A. ", son, 10, Wilts, Swindon
    Gladys A.", dau, 9, Wilts, Swindon
    Norman C. ", son, 5, Wilts Swindon

1891 census RG12/1585 f59 p30, 34 Regent Place, Swindon, Wilts
    William BROOME, head, Mar, 25, Painter, Oxon, Bicester
    Annie Louisa ", wife, 23, Oxon, Bicester
    William Aubrey N. ", son, 8mo, Wilts Swindon
    John WILLIAMS, boarder, single, 31, Painter, Oxon, Bicester

From FreeBMD:
    William BROOME married Annie Louisa COLLINS Dec 1889 Bicester 32 1296.

Annie Louisa BROOME died Mar 1898 Highworth 5a 20 age 30.

William BROOME married Edith Isabel PYE Dec 1899 Bideford 5b 1050.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by audrey broome View Post
    Here's the rub, Wm.A.(Newton)Broome never became a citizen.
    According to the 1920 US census, William was naturalized in 1919. The 1930 census also says that William was naturalized (no date given), but that his wife Ethel was an alien.

The family was apparently still together in 1930.
    Willowbrook Ave, Los Angeles, California
    BROOME William A., head, rents house at $30 per month, age 39, 27 when 1st married, born England, immigrated 1913, Naturalized, Instructor, Salesman/Saleswear [?]
    " Ethel M., wife, 44, 32 when 1st married, Alien, born England
    " Henry V., son, 8, born NY
    " Norman L., son, 8, born NY

Looks like your father was a twin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast