Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    audrey broome

To Hugh Thompson, Thomasin and Wirral,
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE SENT TO ME.
    I must tell you that I am absolutely Overwhelmed at your responses. I have been looking for years for some clues about my English roots and for all my days and weeks of work, have come up with NOTHING ! In a matter of minutes, you gave me more information about my family than I had ever even hoped to find. Ofcourse, I now have new mysteries to unravel, but the the question that I can not get off of my mind is, "how in the world did you find all of this info. so quickly?
    I truly can not thank you enough for your kind help.
    aloha, Audrey

Thomasin

I think this is probably the marriage of Ethel's parents:

James Alfred Hearn and Anne Hicks, September quarter 1874, Woolwich district, 1d 1334.

The Woolwich area covers Plumstead, and as James was a labourer at (Woolwich) Arsenal, this fits.

You can check this search yourself on FreeBMD (just google it).

Thomasin

Thomasin

James Alfred Hearn b. Lambeth, Sept. quarter 1852, 1d 231.

I'm not too sure about Anne Hicks. There is a birth in 1855 in the Dartford area, but this doesn't cover Plumstead. I'll check for her on the earlier censuses.

Thomasin

Thomasin

Anne was telling the truth! I've found her on the 1871 census, living at Burrage Road, Plumstead:

Thomas Hicks (52) Furnace man b. Gloucestershire
    Elizabeth Hicks (51) b. Gloucester City
    Anne Hicks (18) b. Plumstead, Kent
    William Hicks (13) b. Plumstead, Kent

The reference is: RG10; 788; 78; 39.

From his occupation it looks as if Thomas Hicks also worked at Woolwich Arsenal. On the original image the placename for his birth looks like 'Whitcome', but I think it may be a misspelling of Witcombe (which apparently comes under Great Witcombe). So both of your Ethel's maternal grandparents had roots in Gloucestershire.

Thomasin

Thomasin

In the 1861 census, Witcomb is quite clear. The family was already in Burrage Road, at 2 Camden Terrace. Thomas Hicks is a 'Trimmer War Dept', and in addition to Ann and William there is another son, Thomas (13) who is a 'Cartridge Maker War Dept'. The three children are stated to be born in Woolwich.
    The reference is: RG09; 409; 23; 5.

Thomasin

Hugh Thompson

From the IGI, a possible christening for Thomas?
    it would need to be checked.
    Hugh.

THOS. HICKS
    Christening:
    02 JAN 1819 Great Witcombe, Gloucester, England
    Father: WILLIAM HICKS
    Mother: JANE

Thomasin

That looks good, Hugh. I've been trying to find a marriage for Thomas and Elizabeth, so far unsuccessfully. There was one in 1847, the bride being Elizabeth Preddy, but it was in Bromley, Kent (my nearest town). That would be feasible, because Woolwich is not too far away, but I can't find an Elizabeth Preddy of the right age being born in Gloucester.

I noticed a Sarah Hicks b. 1811 in Great Witcombe. Different parents, but probably a cousin!

Thomasin
    Last edited by Thomasin; 02-07-2009 at 1:16 PM. Reason: added a surname

Hugh Thompson

HI Thomasin, yes he's born about the right time going by the census, and the only one around that area for a 5 mile radius of surrounding parishes.
    I'll have a look for Elizabeth Preddy tomorrow as it's past my bed time.
    Hugh.

Thomasin

Let's go back to the Hearn family. Here is James's family in 1861:

Thomas Hearn (40) Labourer b. Ireland
    Catherine Hearn (40) b. Ireland
    Ellen Hearn (11) b. Kennington, Surrey
    James Hearn (9) b. Kennington, Surrey
    William (7) b. Kennington, Surrey

They are living at 5 South Street, Lambeth.
    Reference: RG09; 351; 42; 43.

Kennington and Lambeth are next to each other, south of the River Thames.

I found a marriage of Thomas Hearn on FreeBMD, Greenwich district, June quarter of 1845, which has Eliza Daly on the same page (5 325). Daly/Daley is an Irish name and this might possibly be your people, but of course they might have married in Ireland. I can't find Thomas in 1841, and I can't access the 1851 census, so I'm unable to check where he was then.

Thomasin

Hugh Thompson

Hi Audrey, Wirral, and Thomasin, I think I need a time line for all these entrys as I don't know about you but I'm starting to get myself lost.
    Hugh.
    Last edited by Hugh Thompson; 03-07-2009 at 8:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast