lorraine66

Default ? mining disasters in glasgow early 1900s

My great grandfather was born glasgow he came to england it was said because his brother died after a horrific mining explosion in glasgow scotland. His brother was John mckenna he would have been 19 years old at the time of death. My great grandfather was frank mckenna . Any little bit of anything would be of great help thanks

gasser

If you visit the Coal mining Resource centre website found by google you can enter a name to search for records of disasters.
    I found a John Mckenna aged 18 at Coursington colliery 1912 but don't know where that is.
    Do you know the name of the colliery and year the disaster happened?

lorraine66

i've had a look at site and yes I think that John Mckenna would fit in with what my grandmother told my uncle before she died. thank you very much

gasser

If you visit the Scottish Mining website (google) click on Lanarkshire on left hand side, click accidents 1901-1914 you will see a mention of John about halfway down the page dated 2/3 October 1912.

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

I found this:

1912 October 3 Coursington Lanark Wishaw Coal Co Ltd John McKenna 18 Pithead Runner On surface – by machinery He was assisting to lower some pump rods by means of a hand winch, and when turning the handle of the winch the gear was improperly changed by one of the men with the result that control of the winch was lost, and the weight being lowered, caused the handle to revolve rapidly and strike him on the head.
    Website

Newspaper report :
    2 & 3 October 1912
    Fatal Colliery Accidents in Lanarkshire - While John M'Kenna (19), a labourer, who resided at 37 Pollock Street, Motherwell, was assisting yesterday in changing a pump bucket at the Wishaw Coal Company's No. 2 pit, Coursington Colliery, the weight of the load go it beyond the control of the men, and the handle of the crane in which the bucket was being raised, revolved rapidly and struck M'Kenna on the head, fracturing his skull, and causing almost instant death. Samuel Cockburn, miner, who resided at Victoria Buildings, Gilbertfield, Cambuslang, met with a fatal accident in Gilbertfield Colliery, belonging to Sir John Watson (Limited.). Cockburn was jammed so severely by some hutches that death was instantaneous. He is survived by a widow and five children. [Scotsman 4 October 1912]

lorraine66

Smile

thank you

It was my ancestor John Mckenna great detective work!!

My grandmother was telling tall tales with this one, thank you.