IreneLois

Smile looking for Sydney

Hi
    I am new to Brit Gen but have been researching my family history for about a year. I am from Wisconsin but our earliest ancestor that we've found so far started out in Saline Michigan. When my mother-in-law passed away we found some very old family letters and that got us started. I've been using Ancestory for my U.S. research. That got us back to our British ancestor Sidney Keats. Sydney came to Michigan in 1829 or 1830 with two children John and Julia King(said to be his sisters children?). We think Sydney was about 30. So this is where I want to start my research on Brit Gen.

IreneLois

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

IreneLois, welcome to the forum!

I took a quick peek at the CastleGarden website to see if I could find Sidney coming to America through New York. No luck.

I'll take a look at some of the Canadian sites.

MarkJ

Any idea where Sydney originated from in the UK? As he was born about 1800, we would need to be looking at church records and thus an area to search is really the way forward.

Mark

IreneLois

An old letter we have says Sydney was born in Lincolnshire. Another relative wrote he was born in the North Riding of Yorkshire. His mother was said to be Scotish and his father English. It is said he came to Michigan after having sold his commission in the English Army.
    I hope I'm doing this right. I'm a little confused navagating the site.

IreneLois

IGI
    SIDNEY KEATS married ADALINE GOODRICH
    12 DEC 1831 , Washtenaw, Michigan
    Is that your man? If so perhaps his marriage certificate may hold a clue ....
    daryl

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

IreneLois, you're doing just fine. We'll sort you out in no time.

IreneLois

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    IGI
    SIDNEY KEATS married ADALINE GOODRICH
    12 DEC 1831 , Washtenaw, Michigan
    Is that your man? If so perhaps his marriage certificate may hold a clue ....
    daryl
    Yes, this is the Sydney I'm looking for. Sydney married Adaline Goodrich in Saline Michigan, they had 2 children Washington (b1832) & William (b1834). I did get a copy of the marriage certificate but it gave no personal info. Sydney was in business in Saline with Adaline's brother Arron Goodrich for awhile.
    Adaline took the children and left Sydney in 1836. She went to Troy Wisconsin with her sister Caroline and the Spoor family