lorraine66

Default james boag could be spelt bogue

looking for james bogue and margaret robinson born late 1600s early 1700s. Found their son James born 1730 newcastle upon tyne. James snr and margaret were married at all saints church newcastle upon tyne 1725. If anyone has information it will be greatly appreciated thanks. I am a boag (maiden name) James was a grandfather down the line. They may have come from scotland or lincolnshire.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I found the marriage on the IGI but just one James baptism which was in Stepney. Heaps of suitable Margarets from Newcastle, All Saints.

You need to see the parish registers for any further information.

What makes you say the Boag's came from Scotland or Lincolnshire ?

lorraine66

found Boags in saffron Lincolnshire and loads in scotland. I've searched the whole of the parish records in newcastle for james born about 1700 and haven't found him in any at all. My grandad said we came from Scandanavia but no proof whatsoever. Maybe with the vikings. They werent poor so the poor relief records won't show anything. I will look in manorial instead thank you

lorraine66

the james boag in stepney would have only been 12 yrs old when he married. If its the one you have been looking at on familysearch.

As you are looking so far back it is difficult to provide any serious help with online information. The James from Stepney was just a comment as it was the only one. With so many Margarets as possibilities there is nothing I can find to assist. You need to examine the original records and hope that something gives assistance.

You say they were not poor, but presumably not wealthy to leave a will.

I will look in manorial instead thank you
    I thought by your comment that this thread was closed

SnowyJen

I found this entry on the British Vital Records Index

Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Christening Date: 3 Mar 1704

BOAG, James

Father: Thomas BOAG
    Mother: Girsell HAIRSHAW

lorraine66

hello raffaele didnt mean to offend sorry. I havent looked for a will for James Boag yet. I wanted to be more sure when I found him as I'm not wealthy either. Thanks for trying though and as I have a long term health problems and two kids (one with a learning disability it's impossible for me to travel very far. Thanks

You certainly did not offend, you were very polite, merely my understanding of what you meant.

It is very difficult when someone moves parish back in the days we are talking about here. Often it is impossible because most are Ag Labs and there is no record of where they came from.

Do check out the will situation. Good luck.