Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChristineS

Smile Seeking ancestors

Hi
    I am a third generation Australian, with my roots in SE and SW of England, and Bermuda - rumoured from Scotland to Bermuda but that is a mystery yet to be solved. My husband is a Scot from the Borders, with other family in the North of England, and NE Scotland.

I have been addicted to geneaology for about 6 months, but my mum has been interested for years and has lots of information she has gathered, altho I have got a lot further, mainly due to the internet. I have been so grateful for the information I have had that I am now a volunteer transcriber for the FreeREG site which is facinating and very helpful in building my understanding generally. I am hoping to "get" Litlington Cambridge parish next, which is where many of my ancestors came from.

Family names I have so far: my dad's side: Richardson, Eve, Wainwright, Lovering, Trebilcock. On my mum's side: Green, Paull, Howard, Chappell, Archer, Coe, Holman, Watson, Grapes, Nutt, Brand, Wallis, Warboys / Warboise, Wright, Sell, Marjoram.
    On my husband's dad's side: Spence, Trotter, Turner, Barrass, Bainbridge. On his mum's side: Garden, Smith, Roddan, Innes, Bain, Sinclair, Douglas, Manson, Bell, Cummings.

Some of the information I have has come from various free web pages and generously shared family trees, some I have purchased certificates. Some certificates I purchased turned out to be wrong family members for me (with names above) but I have kept them anyway, as they may be useful to others.

I came across this site when Googling for Bainbridge and quickly realised this could be a wonderful medium for sharing and help.

Looking forward to learning about this site and "meeting" and sharing what I have.
    Christine

Hugh Thompson

Hi Christine, and welcome there's sure to be one of the moderators along soon to say hello, your Bermuda connection could be similar to mine, two of my ancestors, James Dugan and his wife Mary Fitzgerald were both there, something to do with him being in the British army.
    Hugh.

JohnF

Yes Christine, they are a great bunch of folk here and glad to help.
    You must be the lady that "stole" Cambridge from me when I wanted to FreeReg it!
    But all is forgiven - send me an email (B-G calls it PM) and let's see what we have to help one another.
    This is better than me clogging B-M with lists of hundreds of names.
    John

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Yes Christine, they are a great bunch of folk here and glad to help.
    You must be the lady that "stole" Cambridge from me when I wanted to FreeReg it!
    But all is forgiven - send me an email (B-G calls it PM) and let's see what we have to help one another.
    This is better than me clogging B-M with lists of hundreds of names.
    John
    The PM system (Personal Message) and email are two different things John

Anyway, welcome to the forum Christine!

I didn't spot any obviously Cornish specific names amongst your list there, but hopefully if you are looking for ancestors down here in Cornwall, we will be able to sort you out

Have a look around to see how the forums are organised and if applicable, pop your enquiries into the relevant county forum (or whichever is most suitable for your question) - I am sure the B-G members will be able to assist, they are pretty impressive when it comes to finding those elusive ancestors!

Mark

Knowledgeable and helpful

Paull, Trebilcock, Holman, Wallis - are they Cornish enough for you Mark?

MarkJ

lol - thanks lesleys

My eyesight must be going! There is Chappell too now I re-read the post!

Mark

hexlady

Hello Christine,

Where do your Roddan family come from? My husband's g.g.grandfather was Alexander Roddan who came from Carlisle. His daughter was Sarah who married Robert Lynn.

Spangle

Hello Christine,

You mentioned Cambridgeshire and also the Eve family.... are the two connected? I ask as I have a batch of Eve family from Cambridge and the surrounding area, directly related to me on my maternal grandad's side.

Thanks!

Spangle

ChristineS

Smile Where to respond?

Hi everyone, nice to hear from you all. Not sure if this is where I respond to your responses, or do I start a new thread?? Still got my "L" plates on for this forum

Just quickly, none of the names mentioned seem to fit my lot as far as I know at the moment. My Eves are in Bermuda - they obviously came from elsewhere, but where ... they were in Bermuda pre-1700s I think it was, as were my Richardsons and Wainwrights.

Lesley and Mark sounds like you may be Cornish oriented? One of my names is Trescowithick which sounds very Cornish I was living in Plymouth in the 70s and KICK myself I didn't visit Cornwall and look at some of my history then!

Anyway maybe someone can point me as to the best place / way to respond?
    Christine

MarkJ

Hi Christine,

Yes, lesleys and myself are in Cornwall.

The best way forward is to pick one or two specific sticking points in your tree, have a think about where (county wise) they came from and then pop a query into the relevant forum for that county. If you can give as much information as you know - e.g where born, year, any census entries you have found, what you have already tried (to avoid duplication of effort), then that should get you running

Cheers,

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast