Thread: george beasley

gaynor

Question george beasley

hi im having a problem trying to trace my great-grandfather named george edward beasley. He married a maud boosey in 1916 in acton middlesex. His fathers name is down as george edward beasley same occupation. In the 1911 census i found a george beasley living as a lodger with. emma boosey and her 3 daughters, one named maud boosey. unfortunatly there is nothing written for george beasley place of birth therefore i cannot trace where he was born and cannot find a birth certificate for him. He was 41 and in the navy when he was living in acton in 1911 and 43 and living in acton as a labourer on the marriage certificate in 1916. In 1917 his son was born in preston and his occupation then was a sergeant in the royal field artillary. Any ideas? thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by gaynor View Post
    He was 41 and in the navy when he was living in acton in 1911
    Just "in the navy"?

Do you mean he was a rating in the Royal Navy?

If so see if you can spot him in the Registers of Seamen's Services in Documents Online -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...=*&queryType=1

The records should tell you the year and place of birth among other things.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It seems strange that someone in his 40's, enlisted during world war 1 was in Preston. I went in search of a barracks in Preston. Why should his son have been born there. Did he come from there.

There is a George Beesly born 1868 in Preston on the 1881 census

Mary A. BEESLY, Head,W,37,Dartford, Kent, Laundress
    Hannah BEESLY,Dau,U,15,Preston, Lancashire, Cotton Winder
    George BEESLY,Son,U,13,Preston, Lancashire, Cotton Presser
    Bietta BEESLY,Dau,U,8,Preston, Lancashire, Scholar
    Joseph BENTHAM,Lodger,U,21,Bamber Bridge, Lancashire, Cotton Peicer

3 Bk Mill Bank,Preston, Lancashire
    RG11 4230 / 19 / 32

gaynor

hello. thanks for reply. In the 1911 census under the heading occupation it just says navy, nothing else but whoever filled in the form missed out the heading for place of birth for everyone in the household. I will check out the naval service mens record but it will be hard to verify with only a name and a rough age to go by.

I found it strange that he would be in the navy lodging in acton at the age of 41 and then be a seargent in preston 6 years later, but i know it is the same person because of the connection of the boosey family.

He may have been enlisted at that age because there was a shortage of men to help the war effort at home. I mean he probably had something to do with driving amunition, guns etc around the country, but didnt serve abroad and men got promoted quickly during the first world war or so ive been told.

gaynor

hello i dont know if he was born there because it doesnt say on the 1911 census where he was born and i dont know who his mother is. On the marriage certificate it says his father is also george edward beasley with the same occupation which was a labourer a year before he became a seargent on his sons birth certificate. I was told that if someone didnt know who their father was they put the same name as themselves to save embarrisment could this be the case? i dont know as i have no one left in my family who could tell me if he was illigimate or had any brothers or sisters.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You have one thing that you can identify.

He enlisted with the Royal Artilliary in 1916/17 and was possibly posted to the Preston area.

If you can get that service record then you will have a start.