DaveLoy

Default Dyce Family, Forfar

According to the 1881 census, John Dyce was living at 70 Dundee Road in Forfar with his wife Jane. The census gives both their place of birth as England although all their children were born in Scotland the oldest being 27 at the time. I am looking for any information on John and Jane. The census gives their ages as 76 & 55.

Wirral

In the 1891 census, at 72 Dundee Road, Forfar, Angus:
    Mrs John DYCE, head, 62, Washer woman, St Lawrence, Essexshire

In the 1861 census at Padenarum No. 6, Kirriemuir, Angus:
    John DYCE, head, 46 Labourer, Semilarence, England
    Jean DYCE, wife, 31, Labourer's wife, Semilarence, England
    Elizabeth DYCE, dau, 7, Puper Shac Thuenanel, Kirriemuir, Forfarshire
    Arther DYCE, son, 34, Forfarshire
    John DYCE, son, 39, Kirriemuir Forfarshire

In the 1871 census at 21 Dundee Road, Forfar, Angus
    John DYCE, head, 52, Callteman, England
    Jane DYCE, wife, 42, Linen weaver, England
    Elizabeth DYCE, dau, 18, Power loom weaver, Menmuir, Forfarshire
    Arthur DYCE, son, 14, Tailor's apprentice, Menmuir, Forfarshire
    Jane DYCE, dau, 7, Scholar, Menmuir Forfarshire
    Harriet DYCE, dau, 3, Forfar

This census data is from transcriptions, hence the rather odd spellings. It would be well worth your while to view the originals on Scotlands People! On that site you can also view the birth certificates of the children & the death certificate for John DYCE (he died in 1886 in Forfar). Death certificates in Scotland often give more information than those in England & Wales.

I can't find the marriage of John DYCE & Jane/Jean DUCE (names from their children's births listed on the IGI). There is a marriage/banns in Forfar of a John DYCE & Janet GRANT in 1849, but this is not them as it is also reported from Kinnettles. This other couple also appears on the censuses & Janet DYCE's place of birth is given as Kinnettles. Both John & Jane DYCE came from St Lawrence in Essex, but I can find no marriage there either. Perhaps they ran away to Gretna Green!

From the IGI:
    Jane DUCE christened 5 Apr 1829 Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex, father William DUCE, mother Mary. Bradwell-on-Sea is less than 4 miles from St Lawrence.

Wirral

1851 census HO107/1774 folio 385 page 1 Frith Villa, Lainden, Essex [house of Richard SPURGENS, retired butcher & his family]
    Jane DUCE, Unm, 22, Servant, Bradwell, Essex

Wirral

Found on Rootsweb by Googling on "john dyce" Forfar

"Jane DYCE widow of John DYCE died July 19, 1901 [Forfar], daughter of William DOUCE & Mary DOUCE m.s. BIGGS. Harriet DYCE daughter informant."

Looks like someone else has been researching this family & has viewed Jane's death certificate.

By the way, although not related to your family, my Dad was born where Dundee Road meets the Dundee Loan & St James's Road. It is now a traffic island!

DaveLoy

I am very sorry but I do not remeber thanking you for your response. The information has been very useful.