Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Kimble

piddington

Default Little Kimble

I finally recieved the marriage of Mary Benning to William Piddington Nov 5 1862. On the cert it lists Marys father as Roger Benning labourer, Witnesses William Horn and Thomas Brune. I cant seem to find anything on Roger Benning at all. No birth or death or census record. Was wondering if someone could take a look and see if they can find anything on my Roger. I think he would have been born between 1810 and 1820 to a Joseph and Judith Benning in Little Kimble Bucks.

Geoffers

To try and identify her (and her dad) in census returns........

Where did the couple get married?

How old was Mary when she married (or was she of full age).

Have you been able to find Mary and her husband in 1871 or later census returns? If so, does her age correspond with the marriage certificate?

Brick wall demolition expert!

This looks really odd. I would guess he is something like Fred Benning AKA Roger. However, it gets more difficult. I cannot find a birth record for Mary.
    Little Kimble is in the Wycombe district. But no birth at the right time for Mary.

What else have you discovered. How old was she on the censuses you have found and on her marriage cert.

I found them on the 1881 census saying Mary was 31

Is this her

Births Dec 1851
    BENNING Mary Ann Amersham 6 336

If it is then this is registered in Amersham so it was not Little Kimble.

If it is her you can get the birth certificate. See what AKA Roger is on that.

piddington

Mary Benning was married in 1862 to William Piddington in Weston Turville Bucks. Mary is listed as a servant. Full Age at marriage. Father Roger Benning labourer. I have Mary at 8 months old living with Joseph and Judith Benning in Little Kimble in 1841 Census. She appears in 1851 as age 10 living with Joseph and Judith listed as Grand daughter. In 1861 she is living with her uncle Thomas Benning in Little Kimble. I can follow her right through all the census and her age stays consistant all the way through . I cant find a birth registration for Mary anywhere in Bucks, and nothing at all for Roger.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

1871 census says age 28 born Weston Turville. Can't be the 1852 birth reg, Raffaele, she would have only been 11 when married.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe
    1871 census says age 28 born Weston Turville. Can't be the 1852 birth reg, Raffaele, she would have only been 11 when married.
    Like Michael I can find
    RG10/1413 f111 p17
    Brook End Weston Turville
    William PIDDINGTON, hd, mar, 31, ag.lab
    Mary, wf, mar, 28
    Children - William 7, Sarah A 4, Walter 3, Albert 3mth
    (All bn Weston Turville).

If this is the same person, then when she was married she was not of full age. If she has slightly stretched the truth there - has she with other details?

Going back 10 years to 1861 and looking for any Mary BEN(N)IN(G) and other variants there are at least three possibles (plus a couple just recorded by the initials 'M.B').

How certain are you that you have the correct census entries in 1841 and 1851? - They may well be correct.

Have you found Mary in the 1881 or 1891 census? - If so where was she born then?

I would be inclined to try and establish whether or not her mum had Mary as a singlewoman (or previosuly married) and married someone called BENNING, perhaps Mary had confused the forename of her father with the surname she had been brought up with?

Have you tried to see if any workhouse records survive?

It may be worth going straight to parish records to see if the mystery can be unravelled in the baptisms and marriages.

Geoffers

Anyone replying to this thread, please be aware that a second thread exists which seems to deal with the same family. It can be viewed here

janbooth

Default Mary BENNING

Have you considered that Mary could well have been illegitimate and brought up by her grandparents especially as you can find no trace of a Richard BENNING. It is not at all uncommon for fathers' names on marriage certificates to be pure invention. There is what could be a daughter Sarah in the 1841 census of Little Kimble living with Joseph & Judith and there is a death registration in the June qtr 1845 at Wycombe reg district (includes parish of Little Kimble) of a Sarah BENNING. The only way you are going to know for sure is to look through the parish registers of Little Kimble and find the baptismal record of Mary - her birth may not have been registered at this early date in the registration process.

Janet

piddington

Have you considered that Mary could well have been illegitimate and brought up by her grandparents. That was my first though was that Sarah Benning in the 1841 Census was most likely the mother. When I sent for Mary Bennings marriage cert I didnt think a fathers name would show up and was surprised when Roger Benning was listed as father. So sending for the parish record film for Weston Turville looks like my only option. But at least I know its just not me thats stumped on this family. Thanks so much for the replys they help make logical decisions on where to go next.

ddddddd

Good afternoon, Piddington. I realise I am writing to a very old thread. I live in Weston Turville, and have a book "Weston Turville: a history", by Hamish Eaton. It was produced by a local man, Mr Eaton, and is in a limited edition. There are references to Piddingtons, as follows:

Weston Turville's Roll of Honour 1914-1918: Frank Piddington, Private, Bucks Battalion TA (NB, we have a memorial in the village for this, not sure if his name is on, but can check and send photo, let me know.)
    Weson Turville school - Infants class -1881, Marks for the year: Fred Piddington 192 and 1/2
    Church of St Mary the Virgin, Communicants: Simon Piddington, Mrs Simon Piddington
    Census 1841: Simon Piddington Labourer b1796. living at Brook End

Don't know if any use, but worth an email

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast