Thread: WAAF 1939-1945

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default WAAF 1939-1945

My late mum was in catering when she was in the WAAF does anyone know if there are any records relating to her service record that survive.
    We did apply for her service medal after she had died in 1997 and have this.
    I have tried on the National Archives site but they appear to have moved the leaflets for research.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Hi Jane
    Have you tried the RAF records see this link https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html
    I can not see any reference to WAAF but the time frame is outside the National Archives records.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Neil
    It doesnt mention anything about records for WAAF but as my late father was a Flight engineer Sgt in the RAF we could apply for his records, I think that I may ring the number on the website to see what records are available and then as a family we can make a decision.
    Very many thanks for your help
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default WAAF 1939-1945

Jane

My late mother was also in catering in the WAAF - we have a photo of her playing the big bass drum when the WAAF band marched through Chatham. She was based in Ventnor on the IoW for a time. I discovered that records can be obtained from PMA IM1b(RAF), Room 5, Building 248A, RAF Personnel Management Agency, RAF Innsworth, Gloucester GL3 1EZ. You will probably have to pay a search fee. I haven't tried this yet.

Shirley

Hello Shirley

Jane hasn't been on the forum for some months, perhaps you would like to send her a private message with the information for which she will receive an email notification