Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    pottoka

Thanks for your input, SueP.

The biggest problem with trying to trace the sister-in-law - as far as I see it - is that Patrick is from Ireland, Frances is from Liverpool, and she is from Wales. Your idea that she may have been married to a brother of Patrick's and then remarried would certainly get round that. But I'm not sure that she's going to lead me to Ann or Frances or Patrick on the Censuses where I can't find them, and that's my real brickwall.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Sister in law

What happens to the problem if you substitute "step sister" for sister in law? This is still in the period where there were two interpretations for the phrase. PW

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    It does look like "Watchman". Does this also seem odd as a profession for the son of an optician?
    Could I suggest that for William Critchley in 1841 it says 'Watch m' for Watchmaker? Close work, where having a father who was an optician might have been useful.

Thomasin

Patricia Anne

I had found this one before but discounted it. Now that Thomasin has said that perhaps it isn't Watchman but Watchmaker then this will be of interest.

Class: HO107; Piece: 2176; Folio: 286; Page: 6;

William Critchley Watchmaker born Liverpool 1821 living with the Harrison family in Liverpool and noted as Son in Law. On the original he is a widow and in the house are:

Ann Williamson 49
    Chars Ormby Williamson 19
    Elizabeth Williamson 10
    Sarah Williamson 7
    Wm Critchley 30

If this is Henry's son and the William Critchley we are looking for was a carter then it isn't the same person.

Patricia Anne

I have left it too late to edit the previous post but I should have said Williamson family.
    I was looking for a Critchley/Williamson marriage but the only one I can find is in Warrington in 1842 and it is a Henry Critchley to Ann Wiiliamson. It could of course be that the Mother had re-married at some point to a Williamson and William's wife married under her previous name.

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Default Watch motioner

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Anne View Post
    I think it is Watchman but not sure.
    The question arises as to whether this is your William or a totally different family and whether he and Frances were actually married.
    A old Liverpool newspaper in 1854 records the death of Ann, relict of the late William Critchley, watch MOTIONER

not sure that it helps.................

pottoka

Unhappy Back to the drawing board?

Well, this all seems to have added a few trowelfuls of cement to my brickwall, and I was so looking forward to having an optician in the family! But I'm very grateful for all that you've done: thank you and please take a bow.

Now that Henry seems to have been pretty much eliminated from the equation, my original list now becomes as follows:

1. where Ann and her parents, married or not, are in 1841
    2. where Ann and her parents, married or not, are in 1851
    3. when Frances Critchley, née Robinson, married Patrick Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    What happens to the problem if you substitute "step sister" for sister in law? This is still in the period where there were two interpretations for the phrase. PW
    Would the Welsh Census yield any answers?

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

There is also a William Critchly (age 31), a watchmaker in the 1851 census in St. Helens, Prescot, Sutton, Lancashire.

Also living there is an Elizabeth (age 64). Transcribed as wife, but original states widow. William is unmarried.

HO107; Piece 2195; Folio 225; Page 9

(I think the 1841 census for Henry had an Elizabeth in the same household, age 60).

Jellylegs

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Have also found a Pat Hughes (born Ireland - I think) in the 1841 census.

HO107; Piece 556; Book/Folio 28/5; page 3
    Living in Dale Steet, Liverpool. Occupation Tailor

and in 1851

H0107; Piece 2176; Folio 248; Page 76
    Living at 13 Janes Buildings, Collingwood Street, Liverpool
    Wife Emma born 1829 Liverpool
    Patrick born Ireland. Occupation Sailor, but on the original it is Tailor.

Jellylegs

pottoka

Smile Patrick Hughes

Jellylegs, your finding Patrick Hughes is brilliant.

I can't find a marriage for him in Liverpool with an Emma, but there is the death of an Emma Hughes in the second quarter of 1851 (the Census was taken on 30th March).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast