JohnF

Default Christening after marriage?

One of my brickwalls is a bloke who Married in September and was Christened (same church in 18th century) in October (same year).

Does this make sense?

I suspect he was a "dissenter" (of undefined flavour)

Any ideas? A new child?

thanks
    John

Reputation beyond repute

You describe this as a 'brick wall' which suggests to me that you are doubtful about the identity of the person.

How much information is in the register to identify him? Can you find no baptism entry for him at about the 'right' time? What year was it?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Makes sense to me, it would have been his parents, not him, that failed to have him baptised. He got married and got religion at the same time.

Could be someone else altogether as Peter questions.

When did this occur? Do you have census and BMD data for this man or is it pre-1937?

Hugh Thompson

Maybe the bride was 8 months gone when they were married and the child had the same name as the father, and that's who was christened.
    Hugh.

Brick wall demolition expert!

More common than our ancestors would have us believe.

Carmy

John, it is possible the original christening record was lost or destroyed. When I took confirmation lessons (CofE) at 14 the vicar discovered the records for that year had been destroyed during WWII. They were used to start a fire to signal German bombers is what people said and the man was incarcerated for the rest of the war. We all had to be christened again.

JohnF

Carmy, I like your one best!

This was back in 1715 in Norwich Norfolk.
    The IGI says John Say was Married in September and John Say was Christened in October - both at St Stevens.
    So one, maybe two, existed!

There are indeed huge gaps in the records 1710 to 1750 and some types of "Dissenters" only believe in adult christenings - or none - in any case.? Ten of this man's grandchildren have detailed birth data but not a single Christening among them.

But if I'd told you all that at the beginning I would not have got "true and unbiassed opinions", would I
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-jumphappy.gif

Reputation beyond repute

Even just looking at the IGI, we have --

1 John SAY baptised Norwich 1715, the son of Jonathon SAY and Mary.

2. Jonathon SAY married Mary GILBERT Norwich 1712.

I can see nothing to support the idea that this was the same John SAY who married Susan SECKER in 1715. We surely have two separate families and two different John SAYs.

JohnF

Thanks Peter for your ray of sanity!
    John

Reputation beyond repute

If you have evidence that the 1715 marriage is yours, I suggest your next step is to obtain a copy of the marriage register. It may contain a clue for future research such as the home parishes of the couple.