Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mick

Default John Snell marriage

My long standing brick wall is trying to found out when and who my gggg grandfather married. His name was John Titus Snell and he lived in the Pinchbeck area of Lincolnshire.
    His wife was Hannah who according to census returns, was born in Fosdyke around 1790. Their first child also called John Titus was born in Fosdyke in 1813 and subsequent children in Pinchbeck.
    I would imagine that John and Hannah married around 1811/1812 but have had no joy in finding a record for this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mick

Brick wall demolition expert!

Some progress

JOHN TITUS SNELL
    Christening: 06 APR 1788 Pinchbeck, Lincoln
    Parents: JOSH & MARY SNELL
    Batch C030992 1562 - 1812

JOHN TITUS SNELL
    Christening: 28 MAR 1813 Fosdyke, Lincoln
    Parents: JOHN TITUS & JANE SNELL
    Batch C028353 1813 - 1821

I assume you found his wife named Hannah on the Census or is she Jane Hannah. We could have a death and re-marriage.

The plot thickens

HANNAH SNELL
    Christening: 13 JUL 1818 Pinchbeck, Lincoln
    Parents: JOHN & HANNAH SNELL
    C030991 1813 - 1855 0508027

We have John Titus snr & jnr
    Is Hannah the daughter of the same John

You say the subsequent Children were born in Pinchbeck. What are their names ?

mick

Depending on the census, John's wife was either Hannah, Hannah Jane, or Jane, but i'm pretty certain it is the same person.
    The children of John and Hannah were-
    John Titus II born 1813 Fosdyke.
    Joseph born 1815 Pinchbeck.
    Mary born about 1816 Pinchbeck
    Hannah born 1818 Pinchbeck

Most odd. I can find the first and the last child and not the marriage.

I have accessed the records by the parish via the Hugh Wallis site and cannot find these records yet the ones I have found were exactly where I expected.

The IGI is transcribed from Bishop's transcripts which are themselves transcribed from the parish records. Lots of room for errors. I have scanned the batches but cannot see any obvious mistranscribed entries.

I think you will need to visit Lincolnshire Archives to find the answers

https://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.u...sp?docId=27637

Patricia Anne

I'm trying to find them on the census returns. Is John a Thatcher by trade?

mick

Yes, the Snells were thatchers for a number of generations. John's marriage is the one that's got me stumped which is a bit ironic considering i have most of the marriages of his ancestors going back to the late 1500's. Seeing as Hannah was born in Fosdyke as was their first child, i would have expected them to have married there as well. The methodist chapel was not built until the late 1820's so that leaves the anglican church. My own experience of transcribing lincolnshire pr's for the Freereg project is that the IGI has some large gaps in itso i think it will be a case of going through the Fosdyke register

I share your surprise.

I don't think this is a gap as the Hugh Wallis site shows they have the BT's for the period. I think it is transcription or a few pages just missed and hopefully not lost. That could explain the missing children.

Whether they married in Fosdyke is a different question, although one would have expected it. It is back to the PC's though but thankfully Fosdyke even now is not exactly large.

Patricia Anne

Correct me if I am wrong but in the 1841 census return John and Hannah are living in Pinchbeck Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 11; Page: 14. Where the question is asked if Hannah was born in the same County it says No.
    Is it Hannah's death that is registered in Spalding in 1850 and John is with Elizabeth in the 1851 or am I looking at the wrong people?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast