Thread: Name mix up ?

Richard 1967

Default Name mix up ?

Hello , After doing a little research ive found my grandfathers name from some old paperwork that was kept in the family and he was Called Edward boardman and he died on the 28/12/1940 from war wounds.
    My Grandfather served in the RASC as a driver and was part of the experditionery force that was evacuated from Dunkirk in June 1940 he was wounded and later died in woking.
    Ive looked on the Comonwealth war graves commision site and have found An Edwin Boardman who died on the 28/12/1940 and was also a driver for the RASC .
    My Question is could it be possible for a mistake to have been made in my Granfathers Christian name on his military records ?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Where did your grandfather die? How old was he ? Where was he born ?
    Lots of questions but helps to prove that you have the right man.

Deaths Dec 1940
    Boardman Edward 11 Manchester 8d 189

Although this is shown as age 11 it could be mistranscribed

salcat

If he died on 28 Dec 1940, I think it's more likely that this is his death reg

Mar 1941

Edward Boardman 35 Surrey NW 2a 877.

Surrey North Western covers Woking.

I think that if he died in hospital in the UK he would have an "ordinary" death cert rather than the overseas ones for those who actually died abroad.

Sally

salcat

It does look possible that Edward and Edwin are the same person. Do you have any of your grandfather's medals? They will have his army number engraved on the edge, so if you know/ can find out his number, you can compare it to the number given for Edwin on CWGC.

His number might also be on his death cert, and soldiers often marked their kit with their numbers, so if you have inherited anything it may show the number. (My husband has some shoe cleaning kit marked with his grandfathers number!)

Hope this helps

Sally

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know what this "old paperwork" is but his name should be shown on your parents' marriage certificate and on the appropriate parent's birth certificate.

Do you have these certificates? If not you should obtain them. Many questions can be answered by simply ensuring that you have the appropriate evidence.

Richard 1967

Quote Originally Posted by salcat View Post
    It does look possible that Edward and Edwin are the same person. Do you have any of your grandfather's medals? They will have his army number engraved on the edge, so if you know/ can find out his number, you can compare it to the number given for Edwin on CWGC.

His number might also be on his death cert, and soldiers often marked their kit with their numbers, so if you have inherited anything it may show the number. (My husband has some shoe cleaning kit marked with his grandfathers number!)

Hope this helps

Sally
    I do have Edwin Boardman's service number ( T/1059548 ) I dont have a date of birth for my grandfather but he was married to Margaret Dodds on the 3/6/1933 in Belfast
    That info was found on a document that was given to me by my aunt but the army sevice number was the one that i found on the CWGC web site.

salcat

So do you mean that the service number for Edward (from the family papers) is the same as CWGC have for Edwin?

And do you have certificates showing him as Edward? If so I would put it down to an error when the info was given to CWGC. Perhaps he was always known as Ed or Eddie so he could have been either.

S

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can obtain his service records here

https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

It does cost £ 30 however but most noticeable is that these are all handwritten and for Edwin/Edward to be mixed up would come as no surprise.

Richard 1967

Thank you all for your help so far Richard