Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Herts Militia Lists

Hi,
    Does any one have access to the Hertfordshire Militia Lists. I think my 4 x gt grandfather may be listed there and would like to see exactly what the records say. His name was Francis King and he was mentioned in 1784 and 1785, possiblt Corner Hall and Two Waters.
    Thanks in advance,
    Emeltee

pastimperfect

Default Where to Find Hertfordshire Militia Lists

Hi

Your best bet is to contact Hertfordshire Family History Society.

They have a full transcription of all the militia records for the county that runs to 113 volumes with 280,000 records

I have Weston, Baldock, Norton & Letchworth in booklet form from their publications but you can now buy it on a CD rom

https://
    www.
    hertsfhs.org.uk/hfphs16.html#MBL

Ally

Valued member of Brit-Gen.

Hi emeltee
    Coming in a bit late here but just came across your entry. Don't know if you are already aware but Corner Hall and Two Waters were/are areas of Hemel Hempstead and I shall be visiting the library there pretty soon and they may have the militia lists - are you still looking for more details ?
    Lesley

Hi Lesley,
    Many thanks for the kind offer but someone has already done the lookup for me. However if you should come across any information re Francis King who I think was a papermaker by trade, his wife Mary, son James born c1800 and son Thomas Francis born 1802 baptised 1807 then I'd love to hear from you.
    Regards
    Emeltee

hi
    thought you had probably found out by now, but you never know - these things get put on the back burner. I live in Hemel so will bear in mind your King family when I am searching. I don't actually have many historic links to Hemel although I am from Hertfordshire, but I tend to check stuff for other people.
    You mention that Francis was a papermaker, which is not surprising given the location of Two waters/Corner Hall as there had been a thriving paper making industry in Hemel for a couple of hundrerd years. Sadly (as with much British Industry), this is no longer the case. However, I don't know if you are aware but there is a heritage site called the Paper Trail, recently set up in Hemel (a stone's throw from Corner Hall and Two Waters) which strives to keep the heritage alive - If you google it has a website. I am pretty certain that they or Dacorum Heritage Trust have archives of the major employee John Dickenson which may go back that far - not sure. But anyway The Paper Trail gives a fair amount of history for the papermaking trade and might be of interest. Let me know if I can help with any Hemel queries.
    Regards
    Lesley

Hi Lersley,
    Many thanks for the info re the Paper Trail. It's good to have background info with regards to ancestors trades. I don't know if Francis King and his wife Mary came from Herts or not. Their marriage doesn't appear on HALS and they died before 1851 so the Censuses have been no help. Younger son Thomas Francis King was baptised in Hemel aged 5 and gives his birthplace as Two Waters on the Censuses but by the time of the first Census in 1841 the family had moved to Durham.His elder brother James born c1800 also died before 1851 so no idea where he was born either. I'd love to be able to find details of Francis and Mary's marriage and Francis's birth but not knowing where he came from isn't helping. According to their death certs Francis was born c1763 and Mary c1765. If, during your research, you should spot them please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Emeltee

will do
    I've noted the extra info and have added them to my hemel queries !
    Lesley

pastimperfect

Hi Emeltee

If Francis & Mary were born x 1763 & 1765 respectively, I am assuming that they would have been of full age when they were wed which brings the marriage year to approximately 1793 at the earliest.

The only IGI marriage recorded within a search of 5 years before and after 1800 is that of Francis King to Mary Stafford on 26 Nov 1804 Mancetter, Warwick, England, however I cannot find it in Pallot's Marriage Index for England: 1780 - 1837

The only Francis King whose YOB is closest on the 1841 UK Census (within a 5 year search) is:

1841 England Census
    about Francis King
    Name: Francis King
    Estimated birth year: abt 1766
    Not born in County
    Civil parish: Chelsea
    Hundred: Ossulstone (Kensington Division)
    County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address: Royal Hospital Chelsea

Registration district: Kensington
    Sub-registration district: Chelsea South

Household Members:
    Name Age
    Francis King 75

Regards

Ally

Hi again
    another good source of info re the papermakers if you are interested.
    There is a great website .....Hertfordshire-genealogy (.co.uk) If you go to the page re Hemel hempstead then Apsley there is loads of info, links etc re the trade and the mills - may be just a little bit late for your family but some of the info is c1800 and maybe earlier, not sure.
    Lesley

Many thanks for the info Lesley - I'll check it out

Thanks for looking for my King family Ally but what you have found isn't them. Son Thomas Francis King was born in 1802 and I think I have also found a brother James born 1800. In the 1841 Census the family were living in Durham and Francis, Mary and elder son James all died between the 1841 and 1851 Censuses. I have death certs for both Francis and Mary. Son Thomas , also a papermaker as were his father and brother, and who is my 3 x gt grandfather then moved to Richmond in Yorkshire with his family. He is buried in the local church there.

regards,
    Emeltee