Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    deeree

That is good news!

Is it likely that the photocopy will be easier to read?

It's disappointing that the marriage location isn't on the birth certificate given that it was on the WALLACE birth certificates. I guess the system fell down there.

Was the birth in Le Havre?

Looking forward to hearing more when you get the photocopy.

Best wishes
    Desley

pottoka

Question Graville?

I certainly hope that the photocopy will be easier to read, even if I need a magnifying glass!

The registrar doesn't mention the name of the town, like on the Wallace certificates. However, as he proudly says that he has the Légion d'Honneur, it might well be the same chap - although his writing has taken a turn for the worse; all the words are squidged up together. With a bit of imagination, his signature could be the same name, but I can't open two jpeg files at once to compare them properly. Also, I think I can make out that the Davies family were living in the "section de Tourneville" which is in Graville and was where the Wallaces were for David's birth in 1846.

I was more than a bit disappointed not to find William Wallace as one of the witnesses, but one of them is Pierre Simon, a weaver, who witnessed the birth registration of Mary Mathilde Wallace.

pottoka

Martine has confirmed on the forum that Catherine was born in Graville.

pottoka

Smile At last!

I hope that you hadn't thought that I'd forgotten you! One of Martine's daughter has just had a baby, so she briefly suspended her family history activities so that she could be a doting grandma instead.

However, she sent the photocopy of the certificate to me yesterday. It's quite clear: enough to see that the father's name is Richard, not Michael! I hope that this won't be too much of a disappointment. Mum is certainly Margaret Davies, née Davies, so either Richard died and Margaret remarried afterwards, or there was a mistake in the certificate, but, as it says at the bottom that the witnesses sign it after it has been read to them, that seems rather unlikely. Unfortunately the father did not know how to sign his name, so there's no looking for an 'M' or an 'R', either.

I'll get to work on it asap and then put it in the post to you.

deeree

Thanks for the update, pottoka. I'm really looking forward to having a look at the photocopy of Catherine's birth.

I've had another look at the 1851 census printout to see if I can make the husband's name into Richard. The name is shortened into what looks like
    Michl. So in 1851, I think the hubby was definitely Michael.
    I wonder if the wife's former name as DAVIES is a clue and as you've suggested, Richard died and she married Michael, both surnames DAVIES.

Actually, this information might prove useful, as I haven't been able to find a DAVIES family with offspring of Michael and Mary (born 1826) born either Risca or Myrthyr Tydfyll. Perhaps I'll have more luck looking for Richard DAVIES, as Mary's brother.

However, the more I think about this, it's beginning to look rather strange. Mary WALLIS (nee DAVIES and possibly a sister to Michael/Richard), is on the 1851 census with her husband Thomas WALLIS, forge labourer, born Glasgow. In 1861, her husband is called William WALLIS, iron foundry labourer, born Wendover, Bucks. Both men born about 1816/1817.

However, as you'll remember, the 3 children, Matilda, William & David who were born in Le Havre (1843 - 1846), were the children of William WALLACE.

It seems very odd that 2 women living at the same address on the 1851 census, should each have married a second husband with the same surname and age as the first husband.

I really don't know what to think.

Thankyou for your continuing help. It's always wonderful to hear from you.

HelenFWallace

Hi,

I've just subscribed to the forum. This is my husbands family-so I would be very happy to exchange any information with you.

Helen

deeree

Hello Helen,

Welcome to Brit-Gen.
    I received your private message before this posting and have replied to you by PM.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234