Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    pottoka

Smile News from Martine

Hello Desley,

Yes, it's a lovely place to live, although the tourists can be a pain, but they help to keep the region going - there's no industry to speak of. We're in the middle of the Bayonne fiesta at the moment, which is rather like the Pamplona Sanfermines, but without the bull-running (they have a watered down version with young cows, but they still have horns!). Everyone gets dressed up in white and red, and the town doesn't sleep for a week. Personally, I avoid it like the plague, but then, I'm anti-social!

Martine has sent me the photos of the Wallace births which are a definite improvement on the other photos. The writing is still a bit ... curly and might take some working out in places.

But, I thought you might like to know the essential - if I've got it right!

Mary Mathilde was born on Wednesday, I2th July 1843 at 3 a.m. to William Wallace, blacksmith, aged 26, and Mary Davies, housewife, aged 20.

William was born on Saturday 14th September 1844 at 1 a.m. to William Wallace, blacksmith, aged 28, and Mary Davies, housewife, aged 22.

David was born on Tuesday, 17th March 1846 at 2 a.m. to William Wallace, blacksmith, aged 29 and Mary Davies, housewife, aged 24.

On each certificate, it says that the parents were married in Newport (England*) on the 12th June 1842.

*The French still don't understand the difference between England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, so back then, it was even less likely. Wales? never heard of it.

I'll get the translations done and sent to you asap if you PM your email address.

pottoka

Smile "Originals"

I'll send you the photos which Martine took, and my transcriptions in French, along with the translations.

Tomorrow, I'll ring up the Town Hall in Le Havre and ask them about getting photocopies of the originals. It should be possible, although it will probably take a long time with Le Havre being a big place. It's a free service in France.

The only thing I want to check is that they will send proper copies; I once contacted Rouen for copies, and they sent a modern document with a minimum of detail. I suppose that it's understandable that they want to preserve the originals, but I was really disappointed - luckily I'd got photos from a volunteer like Martine.

dianenbabe

How were you able to get the info of the Folks in France, I so do need and English site

pottoka

Smile French ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by dianenbabe View Post
    How were you able to get the info of the Folks in France, I so do need and English site
    Hello dianenbabe,

Would you like to start a new thread about the people you are interested in on "County Forums including Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British Islands. > Across 'The Pond(s)' Forums > Europe Genealogy" and we'll try to sort something out for you from there?

Please give as much information as possible, with names and dates and places.

You could also read this which is helpful: https://genealogy.about.com/od/france...h_ancestry.htm

deeree

Thankyou pottoka,

You are very kind. Please thank Martine for me also.

Best wishes,
    Desley

pottoka

I finally got round to contacting the Town Hall in Le Havre yesterday and, of course, the bit that I wanted was already closed. I rang again this morning, and they do send proper copies of the certificates asked for, so the letter is on its way.
    I still forgot one thing, and that was to ask about how long it'll take - especially as France tends to close down in August. Maybe everyone will think that and not apply for certificates, so they'll come quickly, and it'll be a nice surprise. If you'll believe that, you'll believe anything!

pottoka

Smile

I'm afraid the tension got too much for me, not knowing how long it might take (R***n said up to six weeks, and it took three months) so I rang them up again to find out - actually so that I would be able to sleep tonight! The lady I spoke to said that it would depend on the amount of work that the person who opened the envelope had, but that it would be quite quick.

I persisted in wanting to know what quite quick meant, and explained about the above town; she was horrified and said that I should get them by next week. Fingers crossed!

deeree

Thanks for the update, pottoka.

Like you I'm also keen to see the proper copies of the certificates.

I hope I'm not being offensive, but I would like to reimburse you for your costs. What you have done is invaluable to me, and I can't repay you for the effort and commitment you have put into finding the registrations, transcribing, translating, phone calls etc etc etc, but I wouldn't like you to be out of pocket over this. Please keep track of your expenses and let me know.

pottoka

Talking Will your account be up to it?

pottoka

Smile Good news!

Martine has found the birth registration for Catherine Davies! She has sent me several photographs, but they are all very difficult to read, especially if you try to make them bigger. Then they just go fuzzy. But she says that she is going to make a photocopy for me next Thursday.

What I have managed to make out is that the father was Michael Davies, a smelter or metal-founder, aged thirty four, and the mother was Margareth (sic) Davies, aged twenty four, a housewife. There is unfortunately no detail about when and where they were married.
    The baby was born at 8 o'clock in the morning on Tuesday 2nd January 1844 and was given the names of Catherine Marie.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast