Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    deeree

I am very grateful to you and Sue for looking at the 1851 and 1861 census' for me. I'd been told previously that the family weren't to be found in England at that time so was doubly delighted when you both were able to find them.

The name change is a curious thing. You'd expect the Scotsman to be WALLACE, not the other way around.

I also have WALLIS family in another line in Cornwall. Is that where yours are from? My line there also suffered name changes - WALYSHE, WALLISH. They were around Egloskerry, Sheviok, St. Just, St. Mabyn, St. Mewan and Mousehole. Perhaps we have a connection there? They were mostly tin and copper miners.

My Cornish WALLIS line emigrated to Australia in 1857 where their descendants married into the London WALLIS line who emigrated in 1876 (William John WALLIS b. Le Havre). i.e my grandparents were both WALLIS's. It causes a lot of confusion when a distant cousin contacts me with a query about the family.

Once again, thanks. Desley

Knowledgeable and helpful

My Wallis family are probably from the same line as yours but the furthest back that I am prepared to accept at the moment is about 1754. (from a gravestone)

Because the families had a habit of using the same few names, John, Thomas and Robert, it is almost impossible to be certain which is which without reference to wills and property(leases etc). I am still working on trying to untangle them!
    For example I have seen people claim that the same John was married to three different wives all having offspring in the same period!
    And they would live in one parish but marry in another just to confuse things!

We are however luckier than many in that so many Cornish Records are online.
    Good luck with your search.
    Lesley

deeree

You're right about the names of John, Thomas and Robert. I also have a Digory and a Jakeh.

A few years ago, I was in touch with a chap who is conducting a one-name study of Cornish WALLIS's. His email address then was kwallis (at) picknowl.com.au
    He was very friendly and was able to help me to sort out the different lines.
    I was just looking through his tree and found another spelling - WALYS. I'll try to find out if he has a webpage in case you're interested, and let you know.

My ggrandmother was a LAITY from Helston and Germoe.

deeree

The chap I mentioned who is studying the WALLIS name in Cornwall doesn't seem to have a website of his own , but his tree is online at
    https://cornish-family.netfirms.com/kw1tree.htm
    You've probably seen his tree before. It's very hard to read in the form he's put it online. From memory his research seemed thorough with primary sources quoted.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks deeree, Yes I have seen that one. And that e-mail address is out of date.

pottoka

Smile Birth certificates

I put a request on a French website for a volunteer to look up the Wallis family births in Le Havre; I didn't say anything about it as I haven't had too much luck with finding French ancestors for people lately.

However, the volunteer in Le Havre has found Mary Mathilde in 1843 and David in 1846 and has sent me photos. She also said in her message that she had found all three certificates, so presumably she has found that of William as well. They were born in Graville, which is a district of Le Havre.

Unfortunately the photos were taken off microfilms of the originals and are practically impossible to read. But Martine, the volunteer, reserves a different kind of machine on Tuesdays and will take photos from that machine which will be much better, so she assures me, on Tuesday 21st. The library will, of course, be closed next Tuesday with it being Bastille Day.

Do you speak/read French or would you like me to translate the certificates for you? You can send me a PM to tell me what to do and give me an email address where I can send the photos.

pottoka

I forgot to say that, on the photos Martine has sent me, the surname is spelt Wallace, and William, the father, has signed them clearly as William Wallace.

deeree

Hello pottoka,

I sent a PM to you, I hope you received it. I have a little more information about the family.

The 1851 census has the family (indexed as WALLAS) living at Stepney. The father is Thomas, forge labourer. Sharing the house is a Michael DAVIES, iron moulder, born Monmouth, his wife Margaret, born Risca, South Wales and their children. The eldest, aged 7, born Havre, France.

As Thomas' wife Mary is born Risca, Monmouth, and I believe her maiden name to be DAVIS, I wonder if Michael DAVIES and Mary are siblings. I don't know how this helps, if at all. I've had no luck looking for marriages using DAVIS/DAVIES to WALLIS/WALLACE.

Best wishes, Desley

pottoka

Yes, I received your PM alright, deeree, and it's been on my list of things to do to reply, but we've been suffering from an excess of living in a place that people like to visit during the holidays, and I'm afraid I haven't been able to get near the computer, except for very short periods.

What is the name of the child born in Havre to Michael and Margaret? I can try to ask Martine to see if she can find him in the birth records, and that would give you more information about him and also his mother's maiden name. French certificates are usually quite detailed.

deeree

Hello pottoka,

The name of Michael & Margaret's child is Catherine DAVIES. She is aged 7 on the 1851 census, so born about 1844. Birthplace given is France, Havre, B. Subject.

It would be wonderful if Martine could look for her birth. Would you also be able to ask Martine to look for a marriage of Thomas/William WALLIS/WALLACE to Mary DAVIS/DAVIES in France please.

Thankyou both very much.

I've never been to your part of the world, in fact I had to look it up. I understand that it's a lovely place to live (except for the tourists).

Best wishes,
    Desley

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast